B757 fuel reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spooky 1 said:
Okay so where have you accounted for the :45 minute reserve as combining the Plnd Contngncy @ 2890, plus the Unplnd Contngncy don't add up to the typical :45 minute burn which is typically closer to 5300/5500? Does the 5000 Reserve fuel cover this somehow? I thought that the after burning all your Taxi, Trip Burn, IFR Altn, Plnd and Unplnd fuel you still wanted to have that 5000 onboard, but it looks like you have dipped into the 5000 so as to get the full :45' burn which is more like 5300? Still a little confused as how this is put together. This obviously a Delta flight plan format. Is there a CAL/UPS/AA/UAir/UAL version we can look at?

Thanks again,

Sorry. The :45 minute reserve as required by the FARs is listed as "reserve fuel" in the amount of 5000 lbs. This is the legal requirement for IFR reserve fuel only. DALs contingency fuel is seperate and not required by regs. It's simply a buffer that takes into consideration any anticipated and un-anticipated delays.

FlyDouglasJets said:
Spooky, I just re-read what you asked.

No, for planned :15 min holds. The load would be :15 hold fuel, +:15 contingency + FAR 45 rsv.

So, you would be planned to land with around 3k of contingency + 4.9 FAR, so 7.9k. If the holding that was planned, really did occur, then still ldg w/ around 6.2k or about 60min of fuel at holding FF.

I appreciate your imput to this discussion. The purpose of the original question was to gauge where the Part 121 operators were at regarding typical landing fuel quanities in todays high fuel cost environment. Part 125 operators are typically "self dispatched" and do not have flight following like those in the 121 end of the business. Make for some interesting flight planning sessions. We operate a B757 on a Part 125/91 exemption and some of our flights are in excess of 12 hours which can have you getting to your destination fairly light on fuel. The pure 125 airplane does not have the tanks so it looks a lot like the typical B757 airliner regarding both mission and performance limitations as far as fuel requirements. The fact that we cannot dispatch without an alternate causes us to carry excess fuel and since it is not uncommon pay over $3.00 per gallon in some places, we need to look for every opportunity to skin the cat back a little when safety will allow.

Anyone else who would like to offer an opinion or experience with this subject. please jump in. No hijacking allowed, please.

snow-back said:
Sorry. The :45 minute reserve as required by the FARs is listed as "reserve fuel" in the amount of 5000 lbs. This is the legal requirement for IFR reserve fuel only. DALs contingency fuel is seperate and not required by regs. It's simply a buffer that takes into consideration any anticipated and un-anticipated delays.[/QUOTE

Okay next question. How do you load the FMS, be it the PIP or the Pegasus versions? i.e., what do you put in the reserve box and what does that number represent?

Again, I thank you.

Spooky 1 said:
snow-back said:
Sorry. The :45 minute reserve as required by the FARs is listed as "reserve fuel" in the amount of 5000 lbs. This is the legal requirement for IFR reserve fuel only. DALs contingency fuel is seperate and not required by regs. It's simply a buffer that takes into consideration any anticipated and un-anticipated delays.[/QUOTE

Okay next question. How do you load the FMS, be it the PIP or the Pegasus versions? i.e., what do you put in the reserve box and what does that number represent?

Again, I thank you.

On the reserve fuel line in the FMS, we input IFR Reserve fuel which is usually around 5000 lbs plus any alternate fuel if required.

This way, for example, if we're inbound to ATL and get a hold at MACEY, we put it in the FMS, and it will tell us how much holding time we have available. The FMS does this by knowing 1) what our reserve and alternate fuel requirement is, 2) How much fuel we have on board at that moment, 3) what our fuel burn is from our position in the hold, to MACEY, then to ATL, shoot an approach, go missed and fly an approach at our alternate.

Theoretically, if we got to bingo fuel in our hold, flew to ATL and went missed, proceeded to our alternate and landed, we would have 5000 lbs of fuel at block in.

This is like a checkride.

I seldom question the fuel load dispatch gives me. If it's not enough I land short or divert if not enough to hold and that teaches them a stronger lesson than argueing with them on the phone at the departure point.

I remember a story an old time EAL pilot told me. The hot weather at LGA (before the runway got lengthened some) was preventing a fuel load on his 727 for much reserve, etc at MIA with possible TRWs forecast. He wanted a flag fuel stop enroute or he wasn't going. Chief pilot got involved ...they got a reserve guy to come out and fly the trip. The original Captain hung around to see who was cutting his legs off from under him. The new Captain walks in, winks at him, and proceeds to the airplane and off he goes. The new Captain called dispatch enroute saying he wouldn't have enough fuel to safely continue to MIA and landed short and got more fuel.

mach78 said:
I seldom question the fuel load dispatch gives me. If it's not enough I land short or divert if not enough to hold and that teaches them a stronger lesson than argueing with them on the phone at the departure point.

I remember a story an old time EAL pilot told me. The hot weather at LGA (before the runway got lengthened some) was preventing a fuel load on his 727 for much reserve, etc at MIA with possible TRWs forecast. He wanted a flag fuel stop enroute or he wasn't going. Chief pilot got involved ...they got a reserve guy to come out and fly the trip. The original Captain hung around to see who was cutting his legs off from under him. The new Captain walks in, winks at him, and proceeds to the airplane and off he goes. The new Captain called dispatch enroute saying he wouldn't have enough fuel to safely continue to MIA and landed short and got more fuel.

mach78, maybe you missed the earlier content which indicated we are self dispatched, i.e., we don't use dispatchers so its soley our responsibility to make sure that we operate safely, and economically as well. No one here has ever suggested anything different and I might add, since we know our principals well, we don't try any one-upsmanship sh^t on the bosses. We'll let that kind of conduct remain the domain of the skeds.

Latest resources

Back