• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B747 down in South America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which runway did they depart from ? I can't imagine making any of those fields using 18L with a left turnout, maybe from 36L and even then it is pretty amazing.

Can any of us say that we would have had the balls and the brains to to sustain the loss of three engines and fly it to a field in the middle of the night, just to not kill a lot of innocent people on the ground.

What kind of bullshi_ maintenance existed that the same plane could lose three engines ?

I am filled with anger and rage that any crew would ever be placed in that position. At the same time I am in awe and have such great respect for the heroic actions of the crew that night.

May God bless them and care for them and their families. They were brave and they are heroes.

Which runway did they depart from ? I can't imagine making any of those fields using 18L with a left turnout, maybe from 36L and even then it is pretty amazing.

Can any of us say that we would have had the balls and the brains to to sustain the loss of three engines and fly it to a field in the middle of the night, just to not kill a lot of innocent people on the ground.

What kind of bullshi_ maintenance existed that the same plane could lose three engines ?

I am filled with anger and rage that any crew would ever be placed in that position. At the same time I am in awe and have such great respect for the heroic actions of the crew that night.

May God bless them and care for them and their families. They were brave and they are heroes.

Your concern and kind comments are appreciated, but stuff a sock in your "anger and rage" for a while. Let the investigation play out before making these accusations against maintenance.

BTW the runways are 13/31.

I am still amazed that anyone lived, losing two engines in a critical phase of flight at what was probably max gross with temp and baro corrections shaving the margins even closer not to mention an 800 foot level off to bump the weights even more (these are assumptions because almost everyone operates this way) and all this assuming the weights are correct. The crew deserves support from their fellow pilots. I always felt safer flying out of Bagrum than Bogota and still feel that way.

I hope for a speedy recovery for all.

There is no 800' level off in BOG. I think level off and first power reduction occurs around 13,000 ft when your clear of terrain.

Actually, three engines were lost. #4 failed just as the gear was comming up. Shortly thereafter,#1 rolled back. At that time firewall-thrust was applied and #2 failed. The pink page profile was flown in and out of stick shaker and after 3 minutes and change of airborne time, the capt made an off airport landing in a field between two small cities. Having flown into Bogota for a number of years, he knew the fields location and was able to miss the populated areas thereby possibly preventing hundreds of fatalities on the ground.

And this is the official NTSB conclusion? Call Connie and tell him it was a three engine failure, because nobody told him three! If your K4, you should not be posting BS!

I think these guys did a awesome job. I was just saying the possibility of sabatoge is extremely high.

Why?

Shouldn't 74 fly on two engines at 9000-10000 thousand feet even at gross?

It should?

Quite an assumption. But then, what do you know?

1. Regardless of circumstance, it sounds like the crew did a superb job of making the best of a very very bad situation.

2. They were still slow when the engines started failing. At best you might be able to control your descent rate.

3. Let's wait for the report to point fingers. You can bet they're looking at maintenance, as well as fuel quality, etc.

Sounds like bad fuel or a huge flocks of birds. Who knows. I hope the crew is doing better, especially JK. Best of luck guys.

Latest resources

Back