B747 down in South America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flowers weigh next to nothing.

I'd be willing to bet that Kalitta's -200SF weigh the same as ours, 800K MTOW.

Pound for pound i'd bet that there was more fuel than payload onboard.

Good luck to all the Kalitta guys out there. There are several ex zoners there...

This is hilarious.... I'm sure 160,000lbs of steel weighs a lot more than 160,000lbs of flowers!:D

-200SF MTOW is 830K for "R" model Pratts. Does anyone know whether this jet was "Q" powered or "R" power. I would think "R" since operating in Bogota.

Plus, it's a three hour flight from Bogota to Miami which would require about 70-80K fuel load.

Maybe you should try a little research before making such a statement.

Speedy recovery to the crew and best wishes to all at the Kalitta family.

Last edited:
AN UNFORTUNATE STRING OF EVENTS HAVE RECENTLY TAKEN PLACE. ALL THESE PILOTS THAT THINK THAT THEIR SH@t DOES NOT STINK ARE SADLY MISTAKEN. USAJET AND KALITTA HAS SOME OF THE FINEST AND MOST EXPERIENCED AVIATORS IN THE WORLD. THIS IS A TIME TO GET BEHIND OUR FELLOW AVIATORS AND NOT SLING MUD ON OTHER'S PEOPLE MISFORTUNE. GROW UP YOU FUC@@@G KIDS.

This is hilarious.... I'm sure 160,000lbs of steel weighs a lot more than 160,000lbs of flowers!:D

-200SF MTOW is 830K for "R" model Pratts. Does anyone know whether this jet was "Q" powered or "R" power. I would think "R" since operating in Bogota.

Plus, it's a three hour flight from Bogota to Miami which would require about 70-80K fuel load.

Maybe you should try a little research before making such a statement.

Speedy recovery to the crew and best wishes to all at the Kalitta family.

Q's, 833,000

Flowers weigh next to nothing.

I'd be willing to bet that Kalitta's -200SF weigh the same as ours, 800K MTOW.

Pound for pound i'd bet that there was more fuel than payload onboard.

Good luck to all the Kalitta guys out there. There are several ex zoners there...

Wow. What can you say. No clue at all.

Sure. Kick us when we are down. We have had some rotten luck these last few months. No denying that. But all you 'these 747 otfits' bashers are just pissing me off. You make accusations with little to no information. The wreckage is still smoldering and you pricks are jumping all over us. Give me a break!

First of all, any criticism I have is directed to the supplemental cargo outfits as a whole, and certainly not Kallitta in particular. However, if the shoe fits wear it.

I don't think anyone on this board is jumping on the aircrews. For the most part, the freight dogs do yeoman's jobs of flying into and out of some of the most difficult and dangerous airfields in the world with old (and more often than we'd like to admit to, poorly maintained) aircraft. A freight dog sees more balanced field length takeoffs in one week than a major pax carrier pilot probably sees in a year. The experience level among the freight dogs varies widely from highly experienced captains to a pax commuter pilot going directly to a international 747 freight operation. The freight dog in supplemental cargo operations has very few crew duty day protections and is very very often pushed into 20 hour, or longer duty days. The Captains vary widely in quality from those who will do anything the DO pushes him into, to those who have some gonads and stand their ground.

The point is . . . there's been a rash of hull losses now among the supplemental freight carriers, including the Tradewinds rejected takeoff and overrun as a result of a catastrophic engine failure, the Kallitta hull loss in BRU due to an abort overrun as the result of an engine problem, and now another Kallitta crash on takeoff with resultant loss of life of two bystanders on the ground. In addition there have been several other serious mishaps in the supplemental industry.

Another poster mentioned "bad luck." For the most part I don't believe in bad luck when it comes maintenance. You make your own luck when it comes to maintaining your equipment.

And BTW, with regards to 747 supplemental operations, I've been there. I've done that both as a FO and Captain. I've worked for excellent ones that maintained their aircraft with integrity and skill. I've also worked for some that, to put it politely, did not.

I also know that these supplemental carrier aircraft are run extremely hard with a very high relative percentage of max power takeoff (much much higher than a major pax airline). Meticulous maintenance is essential and many supplemental outfits could hardly be accused of meticulous maintenance.

IMHO, the regulator agencies have been giving some supplemental carriers little scrutiny. It's time for them to do their jobs. If nothing else, the crews that trust their lives to the aircraft that these companies maintain should demand it.

What's the matter, didn't get hired by FDX? Go back to your Saab sh!thead.

As for the Kalitta team, best wishes. It's been a terrible month.

Good assumption on the not getting hired, but incorrect. Have not applied. Sorry. I am just tired of the elite pilots dogging the non elites. My point was that bad things can happen to any crew. All the carriers have proven that.

Bogota with flowers..... go down a 13000ft long runway at max power and rotate in the last 2000 ft of this runway. For those fortunate enough to never have been there, the elevation is 8600'. MTOW is about 100.000lbs below structural because of performance: runway length and climb. There is an engine-out procedure that takes you over the lowest terrain. I don't know if this has ever been test-flown or if this Kalitta crew was the first to test it. At a lot of these airports the terrain comes awful close with all engines running, I hope never have to find out how much closer after losing one.

Latest resources

Back