B737 Headset / Earpiece recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWAPoolie –

I have been thinking about getting the Telex 850 ( love the ‘no-batteries-required’ feature and yes I’ve checked, it works on our aircraft). However, I know many pilots are complaining about not being able to turn down the volume on one side only, like the Sennheiser 45 KAS does, so they end up using the headset on one ear only so they can hear the other guy/gal.

When you say “…Telex can adapt a volume control from Radio Shack…” are you saying you’ve installed separate volume controls for each cup and it actually works without affecting the ANR feature? I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to do that.

Telex 850 ANR. Gets it power from the airplane. Luv them. Signed out the Bose for a 3 day. No-thanks. Signed out the Seinheiser(sp) for another 3 day. No thanks. Telex is light, ANR W/ no batteries and much better communication W/ ATC. I cover up both ears 95% of the time. W/ no problem hearing the CPT. Flew a new -700 W/ the vortex generators on the nose, QUIET...quiet.....quiet

AV80R said:
SWAPoolie –

I have been thinking about getting the Telex 850 ( love the ‘no-batteries-required’ feature and yes I’ve checked, it works on our aircraft). However, I know many pilots are complaining about not being able to turn down the volume on one side only, like the Sennheiser 45 KAS does, so they end up using the headset on one ear only so they can hear the other guy/gal.

When you say “…Telex can adapt a volume control from Radio Shack…” are you saying you’ve installed separate volume controls for each cup and it actually works without affecting the ANR feature? I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to do that.

I sometimes use the 5X5 which doesn't have noise cancelling. You can get a volume control adapter from the Shack that is used on 2.5 jacks then another 3.5 adapter for your headset. I don't know about the ANR thing but it definitely won't allow a separate volume control for each ear. It's only about 10 bucks for the adapter and volume control.

Everyone I knew used it on the RJ because the aircraft alerts were deafening. However we had an intercom (Novel idea Boeing!!!) which allowed most people to use the Bose or like product.

Last edited:
T45Flyer said:
WhoaaaaaNellieeeeeeee,

Get rid of the -300's. Those -300s are just less that half of our fleet! The 300's are going to allow you to upgrade in 5-7 years. Anytime one of those beauties leaves the property it will definitly affect your upgrade and mine. So, please be careful what you wish for. By the way, the -300 is the "Classic" now! Cheers.

It's a POS. Get'em outa here quick with -700 replacements.

That’s why I am so confused, I was about to order the 850 and then I talked to 4 guys who were using it in the 737-700 and 3 who are using it in the 717-200 and pretty much all of them said it’s a “one ear headset” only unless you don’t care about hearing your captain/copilot.

One guy said he uses it on both ears 50% of the time, the others said unless you fly with someone who is a very loud talker; you might as well forget using it on both ears. I’m confused? Does Telex have a no-questions-asked refund policy?

SWAPoolie, tx 4 your reply.

Bose QC2 & Uflymike

Gotta agree with Catus & hr2eternity with the whole QC2 / uflymike combo. Two thumbs up!

Got to fly with a guy the other day that had the same setup. Did the "poor mans hot mike" with rubberbands. Best three day ever...no ear ringing after flight...no horse voice from shouting.

Hooch

SWAPoolie said:
It's a POS. Get'em outa here quick with -700 replacements.

Wow,
Not sure how you slipped through the cracks. That POS flying corndog will be here for many years, probably longer than you with that attitude. You better get use to it. Please inform the guys you fly with your insightful thoughts in the -300, I am sure they will agree.

And back to the origional thread, the Telex is very nice, low maintenance, and lighter that the Seinheiser. A Houston Captain named Debbie sells them to SWA employee's for a great discount from her flight school.

Latest resources

Back