B737 Headset / Earpiece recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seahorse

Looking for a good headset for the B737.

I have a custom molded earpiece. I had previously used the Telex 5x5 Pro III, but I didn't like it because the Mic sucked and wouldn't pick up my voice.

I want to leave my left ear free for cockpit communication, so I just need a good headset to hook up the custom mold to. Any Plantronics recommendations?

I had the same problem with the Telex and switched to the Plantronics and it works good.
The 737 can be a bit loud so I use an earplug and my left ear. I hear most captains just fine. The rest of the captains just whisper or I just choose to ignore them.

seahorse said:
I had previously used the Telex 5x5 Pro III, but I didn't like it because the Mic sucked and wouldn't pick up my voice.
Strange... I've been using a Telex 5x5 Pro III in the 737 for 7 years; works fine for me, never had a complaint on the audio quality or volume. It's attached to a custom earmold, don't like the headband.

I think your problem with the volume is that you need to twist the thing rather severely to get the correct side of the mic in front of your mouth when using it in your right ear. Take the windscreen off and look at the mic. There is a big slit and a little slit (if memory serves). You need to be talking into the side with the big slit. I think it comes from the factory set up for captains using it in the left ear.

The 5x5's do have a gain adjustment that might help.

I have been using Telex 850 ANR for a couple months, but end up having only one ear on much of the time. I am not 100% happy with it, but I personally don't like the ear piece blasting right into my eardrum. The noise on the 737, though much quieter than the ERJ I was driving, is still fatiguing on the long flights....

fwiw

I have used the Telex and have had the same problem. Basically you have to eat the mic for certain people to hear you clearly. The plantronics work great and it's a lot lighter. The bonus of the Telex is you can adapt a volume control from Radio Shack to filter out the crap from the -300s. Can't do that with the Plantronics. (Don't know what you are flying though) I also wear an ear plug when on our -300s. I refuse to go deaf in my left ear only to upgrade and go deaf in my right ear. If the captain doesn't speak up I just look at them funny and smile. The best answer would be to dump those -300 pieces of crap.

Last edited:
hr2eternity said:
www.uflymike.com

has a nice combo with the bose quiet comfort 2. I bought it and love it.

TH.

This is one of the best solutions for the 737 on the market. You can hear the guy next to you without any problems. On deadheads or at the hotel the headseat is perfect for your IPOD or laptop.

The only thing is that it isn't FAA approved so you may want to throw the earpiece set in the bottom of your flight case in the event that you get a linecheck.

Also, for FO's like me, you have to wear the mike on the left side so the cord will come across your body from the jack. It was strange at first but now I don't even notice it.

I don't know why we don't get our airlines to install hot mike intercoms in the airplane. It would be a lot safer if both pilots wore headsets. The 737 is a loud airplane and I don't want to be deaf at 50 like half the guys I fly with.

SWAPoolie said:
The best answer would be to dump those -300 pieces of crap.

WhoaaaaaNellieeeeeeee,

Get rid of the -300's. Those -300s are just less that half of our fleet! The 300's are going to allow you to upgrade in 5-7 years. Anytime one of those beauties leaves the property it will definitly affect your upgrade and mine. So, please be careful what you wish for. By the way, the -300 is the "Classic" now! Cheers.

Latest resources

Back