B6 New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SonicPig said:
Just got the call for a class date and have a few questions, if you guys have the time. I haven't received the packet from MCO yet.

1. When does Medical and Dental start if I opt in?

2. I have a UAL 320 manual. Are the systems; FMS specifically, the same as in Uncle Ted's manual? Ie. The setup, rerouting procedures etc. etc.?

3. What should I commit to memory before arriving, EP's & Limits?

4. For recent new hires, how long to hold a 320 line in JFK?

5. Average price for Crash Pads in JFK?

Thanks in Advance,
The Pig.

Hey Pig,

Welcome Aboard.

My best advice I can give is to spend your time getting everything caught up at home, prior to the 6 week training. If you can go to Orlando with nothing left at home to worry you, then you'll be fine. Six weeks is a LOOONG time, and you'll have plenty of time to get it all down.

If you start to study now you may get burned out or you may peak a little early. All 320s are about the same.

The F/O checkride and briefing prior to that, is quite easy and you'll be well prepared.

Now, after saying all that, If I were going to spend some time studying prior to training, I'd take a look at the Hydraulics and Flight Control sections.

Good Luck, and remember to have fun.

DW

Sonic Pig,

How long was the time between your first interview and when you will actually start class? I heard they are giving the choice of A/C when you are hired. Do you have to wait longer to start class if you want the 320 or is it about the same as the 190?

Sonic Pig,

How long was the time between your first interview and when you will actually start class? I heard they are giving the choice of A/C when you are hired. Do you have to wait longer to start class if you want the 320 or is it about the same as the 190?

It was 14 weeks from interview until class start. You do have a choice of equipment when the call comes, but I can't answer your last question. VK asked which airplane I wanted and put me in the first available class. The 190 was not discussed.

The Pig.

Pilotbob3 said:
acutally it is only a 2 full months on reserve after released from IOE for jfk 320 fo.

Actually, it was 4.5 months for me. Hired summer '04.

GP

T-Gates said:
Whats a junior line usually comprised of? # of days off?

Assuming you stay based in JFK, I would imagine you would get a line of 14 days off +/- a day or two. It's safe to say you will work weekends and holidays for a while but then, it all depends on timing. You are absolutely guaranteed 12 days off per Scheduling Policy, regardless of your base assignment. If you happen to bid and get awarded FLL or LGB (it is possible but not probable, once again, timing) you will probably be on reserve longer due to the smaller crew base size and staffing.

I was never on reserve (hired as a Captain at start up) so I can't speak from personel experience, but I think it's safe to say you'll enjoy almost every minute of it reserve or otherwise, and with our current hiring trends, you won't be considered "junior" for vey long. Time will zoom by for sure!

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard :beer:

Latest resources

Back