B6 New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SonicPig

Just got the call for a class date and have a few questions, if you guys have the time. I haven't received the packet from MCO yet.

1. When does Medical and Dental start if I opt in?

2. I have a UAL 320 manual. Are the systems; FMS specifically, the same as in Uncle Ted's manual? Ie. The setup, rerouting procedures etc. etc.?

3. What should I commit to memory before arriving, EP's & Limits?

4. For recent new hires, how long to hold a 320 line in JFK?

5. Average price for Crash Pads in JFK?

Thanks in Advance,
The Pig.

SonicPig said:
Just got the call for a class date and have a few questions, if you guys have the time. I haven't received the packet from MCO yet.

1. When does Medical and Dental start if I opt in?

2. I have a UAL 320 manual. Are the systems; FMS specifically, the same as in Uncle Ted's manual? Ie. The setup, rerouting procedures etc. etc.?

3. What should I commit to memory before arriving, EP's & Limits?

4. For recent new hires, how long to hold a 320 line in JFK?

5. Average price for Crash Pads in JFK?

Thanks in Advance,
The Pig.

1. Medical starts the first day of the new month. Hired Jan 21st,starts Feb 1st.

2. Enjoy you time before training. See #3

3. EP's about 5 of them and they are given to you before class.
Limitations: about 10. So in 30 minutes, you will have all of it down cold.
Easily done on the commute down to MCO.

4. about 4 months

5. $225-$300

J32driver said:
What about the Feb 1st class... does the medical kick in on Feb 1 or March 1?

March 1...insurance starts the first day of the following month from date of hire.

Hey Sonic,

Welcome to B6! Since so many of us are US Air furloughed pilots, with our own training aids. I took all of my gouge down to MIA (yes, this dates me 4 years for my initial training). Since our program has improved significantly in those 4 years, you really don't need to bring your own however, I found certain material to help (overhead panels for chairflying in my room - read in there geek). My material on the flight control laws is much more organized than reading it from a manual. So you get the picture on that hopefully.

The FMS is almost the same. We have the updated software, Pegasus. A few differences than what US Air used, but not difficult to grasp. It makes intercepts and reroutes much easier. You can select an "abeam" option when given a direct by ATC and it doesn't drop your entered winds from previous waypoints on your route. We have an "init request" feature now that automatically uploads your flight plan from dispatch without having to enter it yourself. A few subtle items like those. Everything else is the same.

Hope this helps on this particular question. Happy sim landings!

jointops said:
Hey Sonic,
"We have the updated software, Pegasus. We have an "init request" feature now that automatically uploads your flight plan from dispatch without having to enter it yourself. "

Does init request also upload winds aloft for you as well, or do you still have to type those in, or use history wind?

No on the uploaded winds. Insert history and also type in the average. When you get airborne, pull up winds aloft and insert those. We also have a WinnView program that you can pull up in your hotel rooms as well as the crew room prior to each day of flying that gives you radar, turbulence, winds aloft for all altitudes, etc. We mostly use this program when heading west and trying to determine best routing/altitudes, etc. for economic fuel burn. E-190 guys I think have a dedicated wireless uplink to their computers. So being at the gate works for them as well. Our is in the process of going to that function.

Happy landings,

Latest resources

Back