• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B6 decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, any potential JetBlue newhire should understand that upgrade times have now been increased (likely) due to the USAirways arbitrator's decision. The impact is that you will sit in the FO seat longer. Just another consideration. Gotta love our legal system...

Merger integration is a b!tch - just ask any Reno Air pilot...

That was not a "merger". Neither was Amer West/USAir or AA/TWA. These are known as "acquisitions" in the financial world. They are mildly different than mergers.

Last edited:
So, any potential JetBlue newhire should understand that upgrade times have now been increased (likely) due to the USAirways arbitrator's decision. The impact is that you will sit in the FO seat longer. Just another consideration. Gotta love our legal system...

I'm happy to sit right seat here (B6) than captain at my old regional...

I never anticipated that many people go back to US Air anyway. I doubt anybody, including the company can anticipate how the US Air integration list would pan out.

That was not a "merger". Neither was Amer West/USAir or AA/TWA. These are known as "acquisitions" in the financial world. They are mildly different than mergers.
Keep you day job.

AA/TWA was an "acquisition. AMR purchased TWA.

AWA/UAir was not an "acquisition". I don't know where you dreamed up the idea that AWA had over a Billion $$ to buy an airline when they were making just under $10 million a year in profit, but if you really are thinking that, can you pass the bong?

Now, for your history lesson for the day.

The CEO's of both companies (AWA and UAir) went drumming up money TOGETHER trying to get enough to funnel through AWA for the deal to work. It was funneled through AWA only to appease the DOJ.

When both companies get together to combine operations, it's called a merger. What AAI is doing right now with Midwest is an acquisition (when you put up all the cash/stock yourself or by yourself through your own investors without any help from the company you're buying).

I was talking with a JBA pilot in BOS the other day that is US furloughee, and said that he is not going back after reading the integration agreement. Not sure exactly how bad it is, but I suspect that the grass isn't always greener on your old pasture either.
It's bad.

Especially for a furloughee.

Initially they thought they'd be going back to some type of fenced protection or, at the very least, DOH or something close to it.

Instead, a 14 year UAir furloughee went to the very bottom of the new combined list, which means that a 2-year AWA F/O will upgrade before any of the furloughees.

Basically, with the 1,800 AWA pilots on top of all the furloughees, unless you have about 20 years left to fly, you'll NEVER see a widebody upgrade at UAir.

The only people who will apply to UAir when they finish recall are the bottom of the pile regionals with minimal PIC time or pilots who don't do their homework and don't understand 12-15 year upgrades into a narrowbody, 20 year upgrades onto a widebody aircraft.

If I was a CA at anywhere decent (AAI, JBlue, F9, etc), there's no way in hell I'd take recall at UAir.

disclaimer: I don't work for nor have I ever worked for UAir.

Last edited:
Compensation is slowly moving in the right direction. FWIW, I'm a 2nd yr FO on the 320, and I'm on track to gross about 88000 for the year. And no , I'm not a whore and I commute and I'm in the middle of 10 days off in a row(no vacation). It ain't that bad !

On how many days off per month? How many hours of block? of Credit?

Are you able to commute EVERY trip? (no hotels). If not, how many hotel nights do you burn monthly?

Took a look at the pay rates and I don't see how that's possible unless you're crediting over 100 hours a month, work through your vacation, and count your per diem in that income (I don't count per diem as income).

There's no doubt about it, I'm getting soft pay. I use Flica alerts, and pick up DH's whenever possible. If you use the system correctly, there is plenty of easy money to make. Oh yeah, I don't have a crashpad, I bid commutable trips, average stay in the crew room is 1 night a month when things don't work out. Like I said, just my personal info, not everyone makes this, but not everyone works the system either.

Sorry for my ignorance but I have a question about Jet Blue. Does the Long Beach domicile still exist? If so how senior is it and how long would it take to hold it out of training? Thanks for the info!

SDVL

Latest resources

Back