B19 Flyer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not about low wages...

for once I think we agree, unions can do that. Glad we wern't greedy, otherwise I think the contract would sink us. What I hate about unions is the guy sweeping the floor makes $30/hr.....everyone wants to be rich. That's a problem. We shouldnt need a union as pilots that's for sure.

Our salaries don't even rank on the debt chart here. You should see what we spend on software and office supplies.

Calm down though, im just yanking your chain a bit.

I know you are, but there is this huge misconception that I'm about low wages and that could not be further from the truth.

I want everybody to get paid what they are worth and if I thought for even a second a union would roll back wages in a CBA to match the economy to save jobs I wouldn't be so hard on the union product.

It doesn't work that way though. Unions expect the company to pay "good times" wages during "bad times", and that is where I part company with the union way. I'm not going to even get into limiting scope clauses or work rules that reward pilots for not working. All of these items cost families jobs and threaten the company.

I'm about the company being stable and staying in existence. All of the working employees in the company should be able to remain gainfully employed. It's hard enough running any company, but with a CBA looming as the governing document to how a company is run, the odds are against success and stability.

You mentioned the $30/hr floor sweeper. One of the unknown facts about Lorenzo at Eastern was he offered a huge paid training program to the ramp workers that were making A & P wages under the contract to train as mechanics so they could hire and pay ramp workers appropriate wages. The union refused stating there wasn't a need for them to train because they were already making those wages. A year later they were all unemployed. There are many things that Lorenzo did that will never become public, but he will always be tagged for what happened, not the mechanic's union.

Did you really just try to make Lorenzo look like a good guy? Seriously? If you had any credibility before (you didn't), then you just lost all of it with that post. :rolleyes:

Did you really just try to make Lorenzo look like a good guy? Seriously? If you had any credibility before (you didn't), then you just lost all of it with that post. :rolleyes:

Lorenzo was a son of a b*tch, but he saved more jobs than the union did. If not for Lorenzo, all the jobs at CAL and People's Express (not to mention all the small carriers that were bought up) would have been lost in addition to those at Eastern. He kept Eastern alive a lot longer than it would have been had it continued down that path it was going.

As there is almost nothing written on what Lorenzo did behind the scenes, you will never be able to learn the true story. I've worked with some of his former front line managers, and believe me.. the union asked for and got exactly what they deserved. Those that lost their jobs have the union to blame for those losses, not Frank. All Frank was trying to do was keep the company alive.

There are lots of pilots with serious incomes still flying today that have Frank to thank for saving those companies.

Nice try.. but I answer when I have the time. If the post goes on the second or third page, so be it. When I don't answer I catch crap, when I do answer I get crap. The union way....

Wow! You must be full of crap then!!!

Latest resources

Back