• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B 737 variants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the responses. As expected, a bunch of helpful information, taken with a grain of salt, and a dash of dooshbagery for spice.

see Metro752 "dumbest thread ever"

As an interesting aside, I heard a loud, distracting noise as I attempted my first crosswind landing earlier this evening. Bashed the engine nacelle into the dirt with a bank of 15 degrees. Dubba Doh!

Time to start the 2nd dumbest post ever. I shall alert Metro(sexual) 752.

Ah.... that was in the sim right tweak?

Food for thought the airplane flies much nicer than the sim. especially when cruising in to Cabo San Lucus and truking by Mt. Rainer.

Interesting. We recently lost some memory items, which was nice for recurrent training. What did they add?

I guess at some point we had asked someone on high if we could get rid of some memory items, they said yes, we did. But, we didn't keep the paperwork approving said modification to Boeing procedures, so about 2 weeks ago we added them all back overnight.

They added APU Fire, Engine Fire/Separation/severe damage, emergency descent and something else.

Not a huge deal, but personally I liked the previous method of taking 20 seconds to pull out the QRH before securing engines and whatnot.

I still think Emergency Descent would be better done with reference to a checklist (since it is 7 items long and not something that gets done every day, etc; nor necessarily intuitive.)

Oh yes we do and we have had tailstrikes before. While I would agree it would take some trying or a CG problem to do it. E-3 in the -700 QRH.

Good catch. but the Prussian pointed that out 7 posts before you and I've already done the requisite mea culpa (6 posts before you). I'm dumb but will only admit to it once in a thread about the same thing.

Fortunately yes, Zaahlie. I am way too dangerous to be permitted near actual high speed aluminum just yet.

757/767 rotation

i think the two stage rotate is common on the 757, i jumpseated on an fo's first takeoff and the check airman was talking about this as a way to ensure tail clearance

That must be a new procedure (or technique). My old 75/76 manual (11/15/00) said:
"Initiate a smooth continuous rotation no sooner than VR toward 15 degrees of pitch not to exceed 18 degrees nose-up. Normal rotation rate should be approximately 3 degrees per second. Tail strike will occur at the following pitch attitudes with wheels on the runway and landing gear struts extended.
-(757) 10.5 degrees
-(767-200) 11.0 degrees
-(767-300) 8.0 degrees
Caution: Early or rapid rotation can cause a tail strike, particularly on B-757 and B767-300/ER aircraft."

I didn't fly the 767-400, but it looked like it had a "taller" main landing gear.

The "two stage rotate" was used on the stretch DC-8, but I don't know if that was a "book procedure" or just a technique.

Here is a chart I have for takeoff tail clearance:
(based on wheels on runway, struts extended)

300- 13.4 degrees
500- 14.7
700- 14.7
800- 11.0
900- 10.0

The manual goes on to further state: Tail strike and near tail strike landings have occurred in a flaps 40 configuration that resulted in a a hard or bounced landing.

Interesting. They tell us at Alaska that Flaps 40 is preferred to prevent a tailstrike.

But what do I know? I'm still looking for the condition levers.

Flaps 40 landings do provide more tail clearance during a "normal" landing.

Botched recovery from bounced landings and plain old poor landing techinques have resulted in tailstrikes during landing.

The tail skid does not protect the fuselage during landing due to the different attitude during landing as compared to takeoff.

i think the two stage rotate is common on the 757, i jumpseated on an fo's first takeoff and the check airman was talking about this as a way to ensure tail clearance

You'd have to pull really, really hard to get a tail strike on a 75/76-200.

The Vspeeds for TO and LDG on the 757-300/767-400 have been artificially increased by BOEING engineering so that the plane has even less of a chance of hitting the tail on TO or LDG.

coming in too high/fast on an approach in a low gross weight aircraft was listed as the most common lead up to a tail strike when I got my 757/767 type.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

As one new to the 737, please enlighten me...

In learning the 737-300 tailstrike is a concern on TO, and less so on landing. The 400 it is even more of a concern. How is this addressed on the subsequent models?

I assume that the 5,7,8,900s are even longer with even less clearance. Is the main landing gear longer?

What are the changes in regards to seating capacity , engines, avionics in the 737-500?

What are the changes in regards to seating capacity , engines, avionics in the 737-600? does this exist?

What are the changes in regards to seating capacity , engines, avionics in the 737-700?

What are the changes in regards to seating capacity , engines, avionics in the 737-800?

What are the changes in regards to seating capacity , engines, avionics in the 737-900?

Thanks. Blow me away with your intellect.

Tweaker- Coupla of things:

1) I thought you were in class at LCC. They don't have all those 737 models, never will. Are you in class at LUV?

2) Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for getting rid of your avatar! OMG!

No, I know LCC only has 3/400. I just was curious about the others is all.

I like to change up my avatars now and then, but this time it was removed by a moderator.

Latest resources

Back