• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B 737 variants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We use the standard rotation rate but I won't pull the nose up past 7 or 8 degrees until we are off the ground. We get a b1tch report if we over rotate (without hitting the tail). I don't know if I'd call it a "2 stage" rotation but to a certain degree it can be like that. I'll echo the statement that most tail strikes happen on poor landings (especially flaps 40). I am referencing the 800 only.

I don't think that we even have a tailstrike procedure in our QRH's at SWA.

We do....it's page E-3...just happened to have a QRH handy. HOWEVER,...I only remember of two instances of it happening on our fleet. It really is a non-issue unless there is an abnormal rotate or abnormal conditions (that's in the 300/500/700).

Good catch. I can see how I missed it, I mean it is buried in the "CABIN / TAILSTRIKE" section. Duh. I was looking in landing gear and air systems and whatnot. Guess I need to spend some more quality time with my QRH and our plethora of new memory items.

I'll echo the statement that most tail strikes happen on poor landings (especially flaps 40). I am referencing the 800 only.

Interesting. They tell us at Alaska that Flaps 40 is preferred to prevent a tailstrike.

But what do I know? I'm still looking for the condition levers.

i think the two stage rotate is common on the 757, i jumpseated on an fo's first takeoff and the check airman was talking about this as a way to ensure tail clearance

i think the two stage rotate is common on the 757, i jumpseated on an fo's first takeoff and the check airman was talking about this as a way to ensure tail clearance

That is true about the 757. It's also a concern on the 767, which has a tail skid.

doh

Thanks for the responses. As expected, a bunch of helpful information, taken with a grain of salt, and a dash of dooshbagery for spice.

see Metro752 "dumbest thread ever"

As an interesting aside, I heard a loud, distracting noise as I attempted my first crosswind landing earlier this evening. Bashed the engine nacelle into the dirt with a bank of 15 degrees. Dubba Doh!

Time to start the 2nd dumbest post ever. I shall alert Metro(sexual) 752.

Good catch. I can see how I missed it, I mean it is buried in the "CABIN / TAILSTRIKE" section. Duh. I was looking in landing gear and air systems and whatnot. Guess I need to spend some more quality time with my QRH and our plethora of new memory items.
Interesting. We recently lost some memory items, which was nice for recurrent training. What did they add?

737 - 300, 400, 500 = classic

737 - 700, 800, 900 = next gen

500 is smallest
300=700 in length/pax capacity
400 is bigger than 300/700
800 is bigger than that
900 is the largest

I don't think that we even have a tailstrike procedure in our QRH's at SWA.

Oh yes we do and we have had tailstrikes before. While I would agree it would take some trying or a CG problem to do it. E-3 in the -700 QRH.

Latest resources

Back