B-58 systems manual/training materials?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
No, it was a fuel tank, and the hustler is an impressive airplane sitting rotting as a static display, big or small. What a beautiful piece of work.

If you want to give your brain a workout, look at the nose gear on a B-58 (Hustler) and then look at the belly fuel tank. Yes, the nose gear retracts aft! I never knew how they got around that until I looked at the B-58 at Wright-Patt up close. Ingenious engineering!

avbug said:
No, it was a fuel tank, and the hustler is an impressive airplane sitting rotting as a static display, big or small. What a beautiful piece of work.

Sometimes its only a fuel tank. Operationally its also the thermo-nuclear device/external fuel tank/electonic counter measures housing. The B-58 doesn't have a bomb bay.

Anybody ever seen the cockpit on the Hustler? I've seen pictures and man!, there is a huge amount of round dials, breakers, etc. That thing must have been quite a handful!

EagleRJ said:
If you want to give your brain a workout, look at the nose gear on a B-58 (Hustler) and then look at the belly fuel tank. Yes, the nose gear retracts aft! I never knew how they got around that until I looked at the B-58 at Wright-Patt up close. Ingenious engineering!

Ditto! I've seen several Hustlers in museums, and each time I stare in awe at the nose gear well and the retraction mechanism... an amazing piece of engineering, done in the days of pencil on paper and slide rules. How dey do dat??

BTW, the ones I've seen are at Wright-Patt, Pima Co. in Tucson, Lone Star in Galveston (a TB-58), and the SAC museum in Omaha. Here's the complete list, http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/b58/

jetexas said:
Anybody ever seen the cockpit on the Hustler? I've seen pictures and man!, there is a huge amount of round dials, breakers, etc. That thing must have been quite a handful!

I've been all three cockpit sections of the TB-58, 556, at the LSFM when I worked there. The largest single instrument is the fuel totalizer in the front cockpit. Its a four engined bomber with no co-pilot, so the pilot is a very busy person.

If I recall, the bottom of the fuel tank is somewhat "carved out", and the nuke mates to the bottom of it, giving the impression of one big external store. But they are two separate stores.

A thorough read through the POH should be good enough.

While it is admirable that you want to go deeper into the systems, the truth is that there isn't much deeper on can go.

For initial Baron training, focus on learning the basic operational aspects of the plane and knowing the limitations solidly.

After that, focus on the flying. Very few people have ever been killed because they did not know some obscure little bit of info about systems. Learn enough to be safe, and the airplane will teach you the rest.

For initial Baron training, focus on learning the basic operational aspects of the plane and knowing the limitations solidly.
Danke schon! I have some stuff coming that should be sufficient then, along with what I already have.

Minh-o-matic

Latest resources

Back