Awac Survival?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MotoXXX said:
Keep in mind we lost Air Tran because we didnt get bigger planes, we lost United partially because we didn't get bigger planes now USAIR wants them and if we dont we may lose again. I am just thinking outloud not trying to be negative. Still at least for now a great place to be. One last thing we better get retro pay, our old contract or better and not fly anything bigger for anything less. Anybody votes for less I will personally kick your A$$. We have learned our lesson there. Havn't heard much from the union lately, hope they feel the same way

We lost Airtran partly because we wouldn't get larger aircraft. Airtran asked us for a number that would not make it viable (less than 10). Secondly, which everyone seems to forget, Airtran was an experiment on thier (Airtran) part, thats all it was. As it happened the routes became too succesful and now 717's can be filled on them.

The owners have flat out said from day one when 70 seaters were being touted about that they view 70 seaters as nothing more than a "band-aid", a stop gap that will quickly turn into the 50 seaters of today, to little and to costly per RSM, larger more effiecent aircraft were the way to go. UAL tried to turn the thumb screws with us and the owners said no. End of story.

We stand to win our case for our old pay and contracts, the owners know this. This old contract was due this September. Now if we are going to even look at 90's there will have to be better pay (not in line with the 146 now won't happen), but I think the 90's will support better pay than the likes of JB, CHQ and MESA (which aren't far off our 50 seat rates) and we as a pilot group have to stand up for that. We won't be lied to again anything offered will be pulled apart and looked at closely.

The downside? We may just ask for too much and yes the flying will go elsewhere. A member on the board might not be enough to stave off continued 50 seat flying or the company will just implode from a complete "I don't give a rats @ss" attitude", which we are seeing a little of right now.

Two Q's about last post. Why shouldn't the 90's be at 146 rate. Second, if we ask for to much and don't get it at least we went out on top and I can live with that. Your attitude towards it scares me and I have a feeling you are one of the union reps. Please dont settle for anything less than 146 rates. Lets stop the bleeding, who knows it may help the entire industry. If not many of us will be happy to see it go away.

I agree....the current 146 rates should remain our 90 seat rates at the very least!!! Take a couple of steps back and look at the big picture. Sure most of our captains on it have been here awhile and are throwing down the $113/hr paychecks.

Depends where one is on the list, but I would assume most junior Cpts that would have a shot at this thing once it came on the property would probably be in the 5-6 year range...about $75/hr..your telling you want to fly this thing for that or less?? the company has made no seceret that some of the guys getting hired recently might be F/O's for awhile do you want to make less than the $40something/hr a 2-4 year F/O currently makes? They used to get $50/hr. Blah..blah..blah...yes provisions in our contract make the actual yearly pay greater than alot of the others, but we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to others...that's the same reasoning the industry keeps bringing the d.amn pay down.

We haven't seen a new plane on the property for awhile.....you should be used to it by now, don't start thinking if you give mgmt a break they'll hook you up. History has proved that. Don't forget that 146 pay in our contract has already been cut from where it was just a few years ago. That rate was not only about 12% higher....it was also due to be negotiated again this year to most likely a higher rate. I don't know whether people are new to the property, or just forgot about how it used to be, but some of you guys are scaring me with this a CRJ900 is not comparable to a 146 talk. AD

Last edited:
Average number of seats on the 146 fleet was 89 I think. If we get a 90 seat aircraft, It will probably be configured for something like 84 seats with a 1st class configuration. Expect the pay to reflect the fewer seats on board. Something else that I expect is backpay for the giant contract violation, and then I expect the current reduced payrates to stick with some relief from head scheduling wench M.B.

Well said Avro Driver. I can't figure out why anybody is thinking about management and helping them, they lied to us at a price tag of around 15 million dollars in payroll (give or take a little), it's time to get back what we deserve and raise the bar for all regionals once again.

MotoXXX said:
I am curious if the rest of the pilot group here is worried about our survival. I am afraid SCABWEST, CHQ, or MESA may run us out of USAIR as well.

Scabwest?
Give me a frigging break a$$wipe.
Maybe you should be looking at your managment team who decided to pour millions of dollars into US Air. If you don't think that had something to do with losing UAL flying you need a drug test.
And perhaps you need to talk to someone who knows the meaning of that vile term before throwing it around. Last I checked you guys were not on strike.
You're an embarassment to a very professional pilot group.

A scab by definition or at least one definition is a worker who does union work for less pay. I.E. SCABWEST. By the way good luck to all of you scabwest pilots, you are now the most expensive United Express pilots, you will be undercut by Blowjets, CHQ, and of course Mesa and you can do nothing about because you won't join ALPA

A SCAB is somebody who crosses a picket line.

Hasn't this been discussed at length on this forum???:confused:

Latest resources

Back