AWAC flying for united again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HockleyPilot said:
SkyWest is getting the 900 engines on the rest of the 700 orders and starting to retrofit previous 700's with the new 900 engine......hmm........makes you wonder......

PS. I like Beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow.
I love it, SKYW allways buys the small engine then upgrades to the larger engine after the fact, oh well Jerry said once that "he didn't see any market for 50+ seat jet aircraft"
Wadda you know
PBR

PBRstreetgang said:
I love it, SKYW allways buys the small engine then upgrades to the larger engine after the fact, oh well Jerry said once that "he didn't see any market for 50+ seat jet aircraft"
Wadda you know
PBR

What's always? The 200 didn't have a bigger/better engine when it
was bought. Skywest is the only operator of the Hot and High
engine on that airplane now. The ER mod and -B engine on
the Brasilia was done for Skywest. Not sure how one airplane's
engine make it "always".

Morning Wood said:
engine make it "always".

What are you calling the high and hot 200 engine that SkyWest is the only operator of? Is there something bigger than the CF-34-3B1 for a 200?

S.

The CF-34-3B1's are available in two versions.
Basic (0005)
Hot & High (0068)

The temps for flat rated takeoff thrust are a little bit different. The basic is flat rated at sea level at ISA + 7.8C.
The Hot & High is flat rated at sea level at ISA +15C

That is the only difference I can find. The H&H's do seem to hang on to the climb a bit longer than the basic versions.

Source: PRM Powerplant 20-2

PBRstreetgang said:
Wadda you know
PBR

I think the -900 engine is a new option. I thought I read somewhere that SkyWest is the launch customer for the -700 with the -900 engine.

This may be incredibly dumb or ignorant of me to throw this out there, but does the fact that the 146 has 4 engines versus the 2 on everything else have anything to do with the high altitude airport certification things? If we are talking about engine out certification requirements, does that mean the 146 would still have 3 engines turning, versus just one?

Or it is something else entirely that makes the 146 so difficult to replace on such markets?

91 said:
This may be incredibly dumb or ignorant of me to throw this out there, but does the fact that the 146 has 4 engines versus the 2 on everything else have anything to do with the high altitude airport certification things? If we are talking about engine out certification requirements, does that mean the 146 would still have 3 engines turning, versus just one?

Or it is something else entirely that makes the 146 so difficult to replace on such markets?

That is correct. Data is based on losing 1 engine.

Morning Wood said:
engine make it "always".

The first 200's SkyWest got were NOT the Hot-and-High engines currently on the birds now, and the climb performance was terrible. But when they did come out, SkyWest WAS the launch customer for the HH on the 200.

So you would be more correct in saying, when the HH became available, SkyWest immediately changed all new birds ordered with HH engines. And the original engines were replaced with the HH's.

If the HH's were available when SkyWest originally brought on the 200 - who knows if we would have gotten them or not.

Even right now our fleet is a mix of engines - CF34-3A1, CF34-3B1, CF34-3B1HH due to purchases of 'used' birds.

If the 900 engine is going to be available for the 700's... I say bring 'em on.

But you're definately right MW - people should use the "always" a little more carefully.

Latest resources

Back