AWA/USAir Deal Near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cactus73

The WSJ and Reuters are reporting that AWA and USAir are close to a deal and trying to get it done before the AWA shareholders meeting next week.

Reuters Article

This is going to be a disaster for our airline. Doug Parker has stated in the past that he wouldn't do anything to harm the employees of AWA or our shareholders. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be living up to his word.

My heart goes out to all of us that rely on AWA to put food on our table and provide for our families. My gut tells me that job losses maybe significant. As pilots, we are going to fight for every job. I hope the other work groups are ready to do the same.

I encourage all my fellow employees that hold shares to show up at next weeks meeting if you are off from work. We need to let them know how we feel.

Hopefully this will all turn out to be a bad dream and more reasonable voices will prevail!

All I can figure is that Parker and the other top dogs must stand to make millions if this deal is consumated. Obviously, Parker has shown that he is no idiot so there must be some overriding incentive to chain AWA to this sinking ship.

here's another of the same article:

MarketWatch
Market Pulse: America West-US Air talks reportedly pick up momentum
Monday May 9, 7:08 am ET
By Mike Maynard

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Talks on a prospective merger between America West Holdings Corp. and bankrupt US Airways Group Inc. have reached the point where the carriers are hoping to hammer out a deal ahead of America West's annual meeting on May 17, The Wall Street Journal reported. A proposed business plan has been submitted for the consideration of several potential investors. The Journal, citing people familiar with the matter, said a combined company would operate under the US Airways brand and focus on markets in the Midwest while introducing service to Hawaii. Shares of America West eased 2 cents to close Friday's trading at $4.42, while US Airways lost a penny to 74 cents in bulletin-board dealings.

Excuse me while I go throw-up........

Perhaps, instead of those only with shares showing up, why don't you all picket the meeting. That will get the news out there. Contact your unions to set it up.

What day, time and where is the meeting?

Just a thought...

Kathy

I'm surprised they're going to use the US Airways logo. Not that America West is such a great name but much of America hears US Airways and thinks Bankrupt Airline. And after last winter, cancelled flights. I think it will take more to turn around their image than it would to introduce ours.

Most of America has no clue about USAir's finances. But, I don't see an "America West" A330 flying into Paris anytime soon. The USAir name is better known in Europe and the Carribean for example.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Green said:
All I can figure is that Parker and the other top dogs must stand to make millions if this deal is consumated. Obviously, Parker has shown that he is no idiot so there must be some overriding incentive to chain AWA to this sinking ship.

"Parker has shown that he is no idiot" When did that take place?

Good point but I don't think the future of the airline will be about Europe and the Caribbean. I think we're going to start hearing the term "Low Cost Carrier" over and over if this thing happens. That's the mantra of Parker and the boys. And if this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see A330's disappear. Just not very LCC.

Latest resources

Back