AWA to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly-n-hi said:
It was the old expensive 747's, the war in Iraq, and bad planning that almost cost AWA it's shirt...not Hawaii.

I always get a kick out of the guys and gals who say that "Hawaii is a money losing market" or "Hawaii is only good for attracting frequent flyers". If you think that then you need to go do a little more research.

Just another example of why pilots should stay out of the business side of things and stick with the flying part.

Oh yeah the CEOs and pencil pushers are doing a fan-tabulous job without our help! Keep up the stellar work! tools!

OK, HA is out of BK my bad, but earnings since 9-11, 02 (lost 57 mil), 03 (lost 49 mil), and in 04 (lost 75 mil). They are also losing money this year..(Information taken from HA Income statement on their web site). Your right that margins are decreasing and that maybe after 9-11 Hawaii was a safe and great place to vacation, but historicly the yields are less than average due to the frequent flyer, but this does have its upside since some travelers will fly AWA to get in their frequent flyer program to take advantage of the new destination. Only time will tell if it works or not.

OffHot said:
OK, HA is out of BK my bad, but earnings since 9-11, 02 (lost 57 mil), 03 (lost 49 mil), and in 04 (lost 75 mil). They are also losing money this year..(Information taken from HA Income statement on their web site). Your right that margins are decreasing and that maybe after 9-11 Hawaii was a safe and great place to vacation, but historicly the yields are less than average due to the frequent flyer, but this does have its upside since some travelers will fly AWA to get in their frequent flyer program to take advantage of the new destination. Only time will tell if it works or not.

Those were paper losses and write offs during the BK, 2004 had an operating profit in excess of 80 million. They have posted consistant operating profits ever since completing the transistion to a new fleet (717/767). They entered BK with just under $30 mil and exited with over $120 mil and all obligations paid in full. In addition, they were the first airline not to cancel their stock upon exiting BK. All stock holders didn't lose any shares and in fact the stock has done better in the last year than in the previous years.

Ya'll know that if anyone screws with Hawaiian Airlines stability, the Hawaiians will impose laws and all sorts of crazy regs on mainland competitors.

Ya'll know that if anyone screws with Hawaiian Airlines stability, the Hawaiians will impose laws and all sorts of crazy regs on mainland competitors.

Metro752,
Tell me what kind of laws/regs they could impose on AWA??? There have been a deluge of compacity added to the islands in the past year and I haven't seen any type of favortism given to the local carriers???
Everyone pays the same landing fees and negotiates their own ground hadling services with contractors.
Everything is a level playing field out here!!!! The strong survive an d the weak pack up and go away as AWA did in the early 90's.
The difference now is that they have the right A/C for the route 757 which can service all the outer islands from their hubs in LAS and PHX.
If anyone is at a disadvantage it is Hawaiian now in PHX-where AWA and SWA are king. You dont think the politicans in AZ are going to support HAL do ya??

Last edited:
Erndogg said:
Everyone pays the same landing fees and negotiates their own ground hadling services with contractors.
Everything is a level playing field out here!!!! The strong survive an d the weak pack up and go away as AWA did in the early 90's.

Didn't HAL get relief on taxes and surcharges from the State in '93?

Freight Dog said:
Didn't HAL get relief on taxes and surcharges from the State in '93?

Yes, more than once, as well as other "favors"... I wish we'd get some now but I guess whats good for the goose is not good for the gander...

Yes, more than once, as well as other "favors"... I wish we'd get some now but I guess whats good for the goose is not good for the gander...

I believe Aloha also has benefitted from waived landing fees also in the past, but they only lasted a 1-2 years .
Legistlation was passed in 93 to assist Hawaiian but they found an investor before any public $$ was put into the company.
Alot of the lobbying was done by a grassroots employee group-something the Aloha employees should consider.

Also an exemption from installing hush kits on the 200's.

Latest resources

Back