avoid airline career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grinder10 said:
800Dog, I agree with you.. except for the part about good looking women and social activities at Riddle. I visited a friend at school in Daytona and there is no comparison to college life anywhere in the SEC. How many hot aviation girls have you seen?

Exactly what I said. No hot girls nor the social activities large universities offer. There are plenty of great schools that offer aviation and women, parties, football etc.

gringo said:
What they say is "I want to go to SWA, Air Tran, Delta, United, etc etc". And for THAT, you ABSOLUTELY need a degree.

United and Delta, yes. AirTran and SWA, no. They don't care a bit about some college degree.

PCL_128 said:
United and Delta, yes. AirTran and SWA, no. They don't care a bit about some college degree.

That might be what their website says, but do you honestly think that, all thing equal, a candidate without a degree would be chosen over a candidate with a degree?

Granted, it might happen, but your odds go way up if you have a diploma.

800Dog said:
Exactly what I said. No hot girls nor the social activities large universities offer. There are plenty of great schools that offer aviation and women, parties, football etc.

Or better yet, skip the aviation programs, major in something else, and do the flying on the side at a local FBO.

Are you flying?

comrcap said:
If you're stupid enough to take student loans or spend 100 g's for your ratings on top of a degree for this industry, then NO BITCHING ALLOWED! First year at Comair....18,000
2nd....22500
5th 35000

Heck of a return on invewstment huh!
Get a PhD.

Simple math says that if you only made that much at Comair than you weren't flying the aircraft.

1st year: $18,000 / $23.40 = 769 hrs / 12 months = 64 credit hrs per mo
2nd year: $22,500 / $37.18 = 605 hrs / 12 months = 50 credit hrs per mo
5th year: $35,000 / $40.73 = 859 hrs / 12 months = 72 credit hrs per mo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are guaranteed 75 hrs per month unless you drop trips or go on leave or something like that. This assumes you never break guarantee and sit reserve as a CRJ50 FO under all these scenarios. Also, it does not include per diem or the ability to fly more if you choose. I'm not suggesting it is great pay, but you really discredit the argument when you post info that appears to be easily refuted.

Skip college and learn a trade. For example, become a plumber and charge someone $120.00 just to go over to their house and flush the toilet. :D

Disclaimer: I know, plumbers do work a lot harder than that. But, you do see my point.

gringo said:
That might be what their website says, but do you honestly think that, all thing equal, a candidate without a degree would be chosen over a candidate with a degree?

Granted, it might happen, but your odds go way up if you have a diploma.

I'm not talking about the websites, I'm talking about people I know that have actually gotten hired. AirTran and SWA hire lots of guys without degrees.

VABB said:
Skip college and learn a trade. For example, become a plumber and charge someone $120.00 just to go over to their house and flush the toilet. :D

Disclaimer: I know, plumbers do work a lot harder than that. But, you do see my point.
The good thing about plumbing or contracting in conjunction with a pilot job is you can do it on your schedule. Good money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back