Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alec Baldwin?

I mean Jimmy Doolittle :)

That's right! Jimmy Dolittle. I tell you guys take some time to read on what all this man did. I can't believe i went so long knowing so little about this man. I don't have the book on me because i'm in Ohio but I believe he received ever medal possible for a pilot to get up till 1989. I'll research that more though :D

Question 14:
What pilot currently holds the world speed record?

ToiletDuck said:
Question 14:
What pilot currently holds the world speed record?

Clarification, please:

1. Closed course or point-to-point?
2. Single-engine or multi-engine?

If you're talking about the absolute speed record for an air-breathing vehicle, I believe it's still held by the SR-71. I don't know the pilot's name. Somewhere north of 2000 MPH.

Daryll Greenmeyer (sp?) holds a few speed records in a modified F-104, but his runs were made at sea level over the Black Rock desert.

Sea level over the Black Rock Desert? That would be quite a trick..... Got to be hard on the engines though.

I think you're right about the Sled though. I want to say the pilot's name is Vida, but I'm not that sure.

And if we expand the category a little bit, I think the X-15 guys still have some records too. Apt, Knight, Kinchloe, etc.

Well, here are the official records as they still stand. As suspected, the Blackbird is still the Big Dog in absolute speed records! While true that the X-15 went a lot faster, it was also rocket powered and didn't take off under its own power. Faster yet is the Space Shuttle, which beats the X-15 by a factor of four during launch and re-entry.
I believe the record for absolute top speed with respect to the Earth's surface was set by one of the Apollo crews on their way out to the Moon.

I think Darryl Greenamyer's record for low-level speed still stands. His F-104 was assembled out of parts that the Air Force considered non-airworthy. The official record was just under 1000 MPH, but the actual speed was slightly higher. I think he did most of his run below 500' AGL (not MSL ;) ), which would have been a rush at Mach 1.4 or so!

Speed over a straight course:​
2,193.16 mph (3,529.56 kph).
USAF Capt. Eldon W. Joersz (pilot) and USAF Maj. George T.
Morgan Jr. (RSO) in Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird at Beale AFB,
Calif., July 28, 1976.

Speed over a closed circuit:​
2,092.294 mph (3,367.221 kph).
USAF Majs. Adolphus H. Bledsoe Jr. (pilot) and John T. Fuller
(RSO) in Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird at Beale AFB, Calif., July
27, 1976.

Latest resources

Back