Aviation Trivia Thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1952 ??

Across the Pacific? I didn't think that Lindberg flew across the Pacific.
The first place that he landed after crossing the Atlantic was Le Bourget Field in Paris, France.

Bongo said:
Across the Pacific? I didn't think that Lindberg flew across the Pacific.
The first place that he landed after crossing the Atlantic was Le Bourget Field in Paris, France.

lol HUGE mistake on my part I indeed meant the atlantic. Sorry I was watching the Astros take it!!!!

Question 12:
Who designed and what was the plane called that made the first powered, heavier than air flight in Europe?

Alberto Santos-Dumont? Bis- somethingorother?

Yes, I know he's a Brazilian (as some Brazilians have made sure I already know), but he did his flying in France, AFAIK.

ToiletDuck said:
lol HUGE mistake on my part I indeed meant the atlantic. Sorry I was watching the Astros take it!!!!

Question 12:
Who designed and what was the plane called that made the first powered, heavier than air flight in Europe?
Definition of flight please.
Many got in the air for a few seconds, but couldn't do anything more. Then the ones who actually took off crashed because they didn't understand how to make an airplane turn.
I've know the name of the guy I consider first in flight in Europe, but I can't remember it now. I believe that flight happened in Long Champ (near Paris) after the designer got some info the the Wright's.

mzaharis said:
Alberto Santos-Dumont? Bis- somethingorother?

Yes, I know he's a Brazilian (as some Brazilians have made sure I already know), but he did his flying in France, AFAIK.
I guess I should have read your answer before I posted mine.

The airplane was called 14 Bis.

It wasn't his first heavier than air design that lifted off the ground however, just the only that got high enough to claim the prize of 3000 francs (a lot of money back then) offered by ???

It was the first actual flight though. By definition, at least when they were determining if it was a flight or not, was that the aircraft had to be out of ground effect. While he and a few others flew a few times it is said that Alberto was the first to so. If you ask the French they might sing a different story because the first in flight got to pick the language :D

Question 13:
Who is the most decorated pilot in American history and why?

(I actually just read a good deal about this man today while flying up to Columbus OH to visit my sister and brother-in-law. I was completely amazed with this man)

Michael Novosel? Vietnam dustoff missions, also flew B-24 in WW2. Could have retired from USAF, but
could not get into Vietnam, so joind US Army and learned to fly helicopters. Also managed to fly with his
son in Nam too

PaulThomas said:
I guess I should have read your answer before I posted mine.

The airplane was called 14 Bis.

It wasn't his first heavier than air design that lifted off the ground however, just the only that got high enough to claim the prize of 3000 francs (a lot of money back then) offered by ???

Ask ANY Brazilian who pioneered the first flight ever and their eye's will light up..."well of course, Santos Dumont!"

Wright, who? The argument goes that Wright had the aid of a catapult while the 14bis got off the ground on wheels, under own power. Technicality, but I guess you can't say they're wrong! :D

Sorry for breaking your sequence there, toiletduck, but I figure if we're talking about history...excellent thread, by the way!

Latest resources

Back