• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally posted by Typhoon1244 I'm surprised nobody mentioned Die Hard II.

Remember when the where the evil villains "reset the ground level" on the ILS, causing the British DC-8-73 to crash on the overrun.

Hey, when I first saw that movie, I really thought you could do that! Wasn't a pilot at the time however. :)

Oh, and how did you like the way the same DC-8, carrying almost no gas, burned like a blowtorch?

Now THAT I did question. I wrote it off to the "Hollywood Factor".

How about the fact that all the pilots had to do was talk to center and go somewhere else...and the whole movie would never have happened?

Hmm, never thought of that either. Again, not a pilot back then. I suppose I did wonder why they couldn't just fly somewhere else, but then again, the "Hollywood Factor" takes care of that stuff.

Fandango - the best paint job on a 172 I've ever seen. I think thats where South West got their idea for their paint jobs. I love the scene where they lasho (sp) the car to the passing train.

God Bless Paul Mantz.

For those who don't remember him, he flew the Beech 18 through the billboard in 'Its a Mad Mad Mad World'.

Sadly he was killed during the filming of 'The Flight of the Phoenix'

Movies

I agree with Typhoon1244's choices, above. A Gathering of Eagles was good. I got a little sick of Top Gun after a while. Don't forget about Thirty Seconds over Tokyo.

Catch-.22 may not have that many specific aviation-related scenes but it was an interesting story. Tora! Tora! Tora! was exciting to watch. Air America had those great clandestine C-123s.

Finally, Twelve O'Clock High. I sure wish the 1960s TV show that was based on the movie could be brought back in reruns.

You folks missed "Ground Control" with Keefer (sp?) Sutherland. Now there is a bad movie. It sounds like it is close to "On a Wing and a Prayer" as far as the plot goes. The high point of the movie occurs when fictional ARTCC looses radar one last airliner is still out there in the big storm gets struck by lightning (didn't see that one coming at all) and now can only turn left a-la UA232 and now must maneuver with differential thrust only the crew doesn't know what a compass is and therefore center must TIME the differential thrust for the pilots sort of just like in "Apollo 13". Oh and I almost forgot, the ILS goes out when a goose hits a little rotating thingy on the ILS tower which appears to be nowhere near a runway.

My vote for the best pilot movie would have to be "Airplane!"
Rodger, Rodger

walker texas ranger

They had a scean where these to bad guys do a bank robbery in the middle of the day with an airplane , that was cool.

12 o clock high was on turner tv a few weeks ago, man that show is still good.

Then there was SKYKING flying around in his twin with the girl named penny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:cool:

Latest resources

Back