Aviation movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jergar999 said:
While on the topic, anyone care to speculate on the realism of the crash scene in Castaway?
I'm glad you asked!

The crash in Cast Away was a lot like the one in U.S. Marshalls: the level of accuracy was pretty good until impact. Then they got more interested in cool visual effects than reality. (In Marshalls, I was particularly struck by the way the F/O was calling our altitudes in both MSL and AGL as they came screaming downhill: "Twelve thousand! Ten thousand! Eight thousand, six thousand A.G.L.!" A nice touch.)

But back to Cast Away. We never get to find out what exactly caused the crash, but from the standpoint of Hanks' character, it doesn't really matter. It was a DC-10...maybe a freak lightnigng strike took off an engine and tore out a bunch of hydraulic lines.

I never figured out why Hanks got thrown aft when they hit the water, a prety glaring error if you ask me.

And as for number two still running after the plane hit the water and broke in half...the technical advisor must've been on his lunch brake. Even if such a thing could happen, the #2 fan is buried deep inside the DC-10's tail-mounted intake. It's not at the front of the nacelle as it's depicted in the movie. Hanks shouldn't have been able to see that big ol' fan coming at him at all.

One aspect of the movie I felt was very accurate: the dead captain is wearing what are basically black sneakers. I can imagine him saying "Screw the regs! I'm going to be comfortable." Probably the most realistic part of the movie. (I've never flown for FedEx. Maybe their chief pilots aren't as strict about uniforms as some other companies are...)

dmspilot00 wrote:

but the central character had the nickname "Lucky."

This movie was on just the other day. It was called "Final Descent" It starred Robert Ulrich(sp?) I loved the part where Captain Lucky asks the military helicopter pilot if he knows what an elevator is. Geeeeezz....

dmspilot00 said:
I have to second Deep Impact. Someone got me Armageddon one year and I absolutely hated it. It was a disgustingly stupid movie. Then I was given Deep Impact and I actually liked it.
You know what's cool about Deep Impact? Check out the way Robert Duvall handles the flight controls as they're skimming over the comet's surface. He's not gripping the stick firmly ala Tom "Maverick" Cruise. He's gently guiding it, giving it a nudge with his thumb or palm occasionally, the way a real pilot would. (Didn't your primary flight instructor ever make you fly with a thumb and forefinger to get you to stop overcontrolling and start trimming correctly?)

A small detail, but it impressed me.

I also love the copilot's line: "Look at the bright side. We'll all have high schools named after us." (If you grew up anywhere near Cape Canaveral, Houston, or Huntsville, you know why that's funny.)

As for Armageddon...[sigh].

What the heck was up with the "roger roll" thing? Does Hollywood think that means the Shuttle snaprolls all the way to orbit? Apparently so!

And what about the triumphant ending, where the Thunderbirds come tearing over the heads of the heroic astronauts? With asteroids falling all over the place, did the Air Force have the T-Birds in a holding pattern near Titusville so they could do a fly-by if the mission was a success?

(Robert Duvall can kick Bruce Willis' as_ any day of the week.)

Since Top Gun was mentioned...

Hats off for Art Scholl; RIP.

Re: Catch me if you can

Anyone flown the RWY 44 apporach into LGA?

As for Armageddon...[sigh]. What the heck was up with the "roger roll" thing? Does Hollywood think that means the Shuttle snaprolls all the way to orbit?

Or how they're pulling 11.5 G's for over a minute while this is going on. Not only is nobody passed out or even straining, they're all talking and joking.

The Pilot

Back in 1979 (about the time those stupid "Airport" movies were coming out) a good aviation movie was released. "The Pilot" starring Cliff Robertson was the story about an airline captain struggling with the demon of alcoholism. The scenes in the cockpit were done pretty well, and I heard a rumor that Cliff Robertson insisted on getting typed in the DC-8 for the role. Robertson is a certificated pilot and avid glider enthusiast. There were some very good scenes that we all could likely relate to: a CRM scene where the crew is discussing whether or not to contine to SFO (WX is forecast to deteriorate and the winds aloft are stronger than forecast so fuel is becoming an issue... they contend with "get-there-itis"), a CAT encounter, working with dispatch on reroutes, etc.

If memory serves correctly, most of the scenes in the cockpit have dialouge appropriate to the situation. i.e. Robertson calls for particular flap settings as opposed to the standard Hollywood, "Set landing flaps!" or "50 feet!! Decide!!! Land!!" or some other off the wall callout. Oh, and the FO dons O2 when Robertson gets up to go to the lav.

Check it out. It's a pretty good movie.

BTW, here is a comment from an IMDB user:

"There are many movies about airliners. I think "The Pilot" is the best of them all ; realistic in a way that the flying scenes appear real. In addition flying has the "lead role" and human relations are "co-starring", unlike in nearly all the other movies of this brand.

Granted that for a person to fully experience "The Pilot" - that person must have some sort of understanding and interest towards flying."

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Die Hard II.

Remember when the where the evil villains "reset the ground level" on the ILS, causing the British DC-8-73 to crash on the overrun. Oh, and how did you like the way the same DC-8, carrying almost no gas, burned like a blowtorch?

How about the 747 engine that eats commandos like a Cuisineart?

How about the fact that all the pilots had to do was talk to center and go somewhere else...and the whole movie would never have happened?

Re: The Pilot

RightBettor said:
Back in 1979 (about the time those stupid "Airport" movies were coming out) a good aviation movie was released.

Hey now, I loved those Airport movies when I was a kid. :)

Airport 77 was always my favorite. Of course when I was 9 I thought that could actually happen!

*shrug*

Latest resources

Back