Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

semperfido

Keep Humpin
Part 91-This is a hypothetical question regarding legal resposibility. A Gulfstream biz jet has three assigned pilots on board due to length of the leg and all are Captains. There are two pilots are in the cockpit during landing and the Company assigned Captain who is the FP assigned PIC, is in the Crew Rest. The aircraft slides off the runway. Who is legally responsible?

Last edited:
That depends on what you mean by "legally responsible." The company, having operational control is legally responsible. The pilot flying, having direct operational control, is legally responsible. The pilot in command for that leg, is legally responsible.

That the company designates one pilot as the "captain" has no bearing on the issue, except on a subjective basis in civil court. But in civil court, anything can happen.

From a FAA regulatory point of view the Pilot in Command is responsible for the safe outcome of the flight. If one pilot is in crew rest, a different pilot should be acting as PIC for that leg. If the captain elects to remain PIC but sleeps, he shoulders the full repsonsibility for the actions of the crew. Additionally, the crewmembers are culpable for their own actions, along with the PIC who accepts their actions as his own.

That the three are "captains" means nothing.

Why do you ask... ;) TC

How could a pilot in "rest" function as PIC? That totally defies common sense, though I am sure that would not constrain a regulatory ruling. I would tend to think the pilot functioning as PIC would be most culpable with the other "on duty" pilot coming in second, and the guy sleeping would come in 3rd, unless of course the crew on duty was drinking and being reckless before the pilot in rest fell asleep.

If the PIC is dumb enough to be sleeping while the other two PIC qualified pilots are landing then he deserves what ever comes his way. A well thought out company manual would require all pilots to be at their stations during T.O., climb and descent and landing. Now having said that I believe their is adequate case law that will hold the designated PIC responsible for the conduct and performance of the crew, even though the PIC may not be in the control seat. Some 121 carriers use two Capt.'s just to make sure this base is covered and two F/O's on trips over 12+ just to make sure this issue is covered.

FlyFlyFly said:
How could a pilot in "rest" function as PIC? .

he can't. there can only be one pic at any given time- the individual in the left seat is so designated. when the crew rotates seats enroute the pic designation shifts. so we would have three different pics on the same leg. :)

Last edited:
3rd Pilot?

On the same lines, regarding the 3 man crew, what would be the legal status of the 3rd Pilot? Assuming the same 14 hour scenario, where the airplane slides off the runway at the end of the trip, would the 3rd pilot have any "legal" responsibility? Remember for Pt91 operations that 3rd pilot is not required to be there.

Now for a practical question to those of you that use 3 man crews for long days, does your Ops manual actually state what the 3rd crewmember is supposed to do? IOW do you actively involve him in the procedures (i.e., reading checklists, talking on the radio), or is he simply supposed to be an extra set of eyes and ears?

semperfido said:
he can't. there can only be one pic at any given time- the individual in the left seat is so designated. when the crew rotates seats enroute the pic designation shifts. so we would have three different pics on the same leg. :)

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. Maybe for your operations this is true, but it's not universal. There is nothing inherently sacrosanct about the left seat. The PIC can sit in the right seat, or get up and take a wiz, leaving two SIC's in the seats. Depends what your GOM says. It doesn't matter who sits where. But who's PIC does need to be clear, by company policy or mutual agreement.

For my company, if two captain qualified pilots are flying the PIC is designated on the flight release but they can sit wherever they want.

Latest resources

Back