• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation industry tries to undercut key change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Throw a baby or small kids in the back and there you have it. 70mph for about 8.5 hours. 3 stops for about 30 minutes each and you are at 10 hours. Thats enough for most families. You and your neighbors can drive to Wally World. I and my neighbors will fly. Maybe its something in your water.
No it is not in the water, it is something out of their wallet, if airline ticket prices go up too much, they don't purchase airline tickets. You are throwing is in things that most travelers in their spending years don't have namely babies. Just 5% of the travelers changing their minds about buying airline tickets has a tremendous impact upon airline profitability. Every airline knows this, they have explicit programs to keep the load factors up and as many seats filled as possible. You are an airline pilot you think like an airline pilot, which is airplanes are the only way to travel any distance over 300 miles. You represent a very small percentage of the american traveling public they do not make as much money as airline pilots. Remember the average Captain is in the upper 10% of all wage earners in the US. Adam Smith still rules

ALPA is backing a more qaulity education and lower time.

1500 hours of non challenging time while experience isn't the same....

A good example a pilot with 300 hours flying a jet with bombs off a boat.

It seems your post isn't thought out....
OMG, I agree with Rez on something. a 900 hour P-3 PPC, has a bit more experience and training than most 1500 pilots.

No it is not in the water, it is something out of their wallet, if airline ticket prices go up too much, they don't purchase airline tickets. You are throwing is in things that most travelers in their spending years don't have namely babies. Just 5% of the travelers changing their minds about buying airline tickets has a tremendous impact upon airline profitability. Every airline knows this, they have explicit programs to keep the load factors up and as many seats filled as possible. You are an airline pilot you think like an airline pilot, which is airplanes are the only way to travel any distance over 300 miles. You represent a very small percentage of the american traveling public they do not make as much money as airline pilots. Remember the average Captain is in the upper 10% of all wage earners in the US. Adam Smith still rules

So only an airline pilot thinks driving, when about equal or less than the cost of flying is the way to go? Have at it.

Here is where you go wrong also: First you assume I am just an airline pilot and a military guy. Could it be I also had my own business and have a little experience in these matters?

Here is where your assumptions are off:

First, you talk about 5% changing their minds due to costs rising. Well, they have risen over the last two years and load factors are higher than ever. Even with bag fees, security indignities, they are still choosing to fly vs drive.

Second, how much of a price increase would cause 5% to not travel? Would the price increase offset the 5% who would not travel? Can you answer this?

Third, the consumer is not setting the ticket price. The competition is. Can you refute this? Just look at markets where competition is limited and you will see sky high ticket prices. People still travel and the airline makes a mint on the route.

Fourth, there is only so much "pie" to be had with profits. Everyone has to fight for their piece of pie. Pilots should fight for a piece of pie, but that also means someone will get a smaller piece....management? Shareholder? Customer on ticket value? I don't know. I do know we at Alaska got a pretty substantial raise and the airline is making money hand over fist with very high load factors. There was more pie to be had!

Sorry, but the facts do not support your case.

Third, the consumer is not setting the ticket price. The competition is. Can you refute this? Just look at markets where competition is limited and you will see sky high ticket prices. People still travel and the airline makes a mint on the route.Sorry, but the facts do not support your case.
Sure the consumer sets the tickets price, try raising your price against the competition, watch SWA change prices almost daily to make their load target. BTW More riders, the same as more people going out to eat, the economy is recovering. I have done my home work and it is cheper to drive for 4 people DTW-TPA than it is to fly. BTW Go State, 7-0 In the Big Ten

Still waiting, YIP...

Originally Posted by pilotyip View Post
SWA is no longer the low cost carrier, six weeks out they are tuff to beat, three weeks out, almost everyone beats them. If there is a better way to do, then for go for it, perhaps I am all wrong and the public will not will change any of their purchasing plans based upon the price of a ticket. Now if you think that pilot can be paid more without raising prices then that is for you to work out with your union and management. But remember there has to be a certain level of profitibility in order to have access to funds. It all boils down to economics. Best of luck. BTW I really do wish that you made $250K per year and your F/O $125K per year

And yet southwest pilots do AND the company continues to beat margin expectations quarter after quarter. Isn't your premise that pilot wages and company profitability are naturally and economically inversely proportional to one another?

Who drives 600 miles a day? That is like 8 hours of driving, 900-1100 is easily done with multi drivers lots of insane people in this country, my family and neighbors to be among them

If you, your family and your neighbors are doing this to your children you are d0uchebags. So you are going to put your children through this to save what $100?

Dropping bombs off a boat doesnt do any more to build the decision making skills used in the airline environment than does flying boxes in the dead of night in the middle of winter.

As far as minimums, lets not forget that in the 1990s the commuters self imposed minimums were 1500hrs 2-500 multi. They did just fine and so did the university programs.

Hell. This airline pilot has an 800 mile trip coming up for the holidays. Let's explore the options:

1. Non rev over the holidays (4 eligible) Zed fares + $200 "membership" fee + 2 full fare tickets ($412/ea) - approx $1500 (6 hours to several days + hotels)

2. Buy full fare tickets $412 ea X 6 = $2472+whatever #$%^ing fees they are charging by then. ( 6 hours each way including drive to airport, checking in and dealing with the Ministry of Love)

3. Train - 3 x Superliner roomettes $1868 (30 hours each way)

4. Train - 6 Economy reserved seats $847

5. Drive - (1000 highway miles, 18 hours each way/3 drivers) Approx $330

If you, your family and your neighbors are doing this to your children you are d0uchebags. So you are going to put your children through this to save what $100?

see below from another pilot, it is a lot more than $100

Hell. This airline pilot has an 800 mile trip coming up for the holidays. Let's explore the options:

1. Non rev over the holidays (4 eligible) Zed fares + $200 "membership" fee + 2 full fare tickets ($412/ea) - approx $1500 (6 hours to several days + hotels)

2. Buy full fare tickets $412 ea X 6 = $2472+whatever #$%^ing fees they are charging by then. ( 6 hours each way including drive to airport, checking in and dealing with the Ministry of Love)

3. Train - 3 x Superliner roomettes $1868 (30 hours each way)

4. Train - 6 Economy reserved seats $847

5. Drive - (1000 highway miles, 18 hours each way/3 drivers) Approx $330
not to mention parking at DTW, and rental car at TPA

Last edited:
see below from another pilot, it is a lot more than $100

not to mention parking at DTW, and rental car at TPA

Maybe so but doing that to children is still f'ing retarded. Shows no class and laziness. There are so many cool things to show children all over this country but I see these dip$hits all the time who only care about getting to the beach/disney/mountains/etc. as fast as they can.

Latest resources

Back