Aviation has changed what now????

flyincheap

Total Time
I am sure I will get all kinds of differant answers depending on age, what you have experienced in your aviation career. With the down turn of the entire Industry, from airlines to charter, what now? Are any you guys getting out of aviation?? Are you trying to ride out the storm. I know it is cyclic, however here is where the age might come into play. How many cycles are you willing to ride. Look at past airlines, Eastern, TWA, Braniff, who would have thought in there time that they would be gone, but they are. Could it happen to the big guys today?? Just wondering what other pilots are thinking.

MD11Drvr

Still Learning
Total Time
Enough
Two words "Trailer Trash" and too much of it....

dhawk41

Total Time
I am doing my best to ride this one out. As long as there is a small glimmer of hope i will always try to make my living as a pilot, or digging ditches i would enjoy that more than sitting in a cubical all day filling out TPS reports.

jetjock6

Total Time
Buku
I am doing my best to ride this one out. As long as there is a small glimmer of hope i will always try to make my living as a pilot, or digging ditches i would enjoy that more than sitting in a cubical all day filling out TPS reports.
It's just that we're putting cover sheets on all the TPS now. Did you get the memo?

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
I have started my own biz, outside of aviation.

I dont think I will get rich in the flying biz if I keep getting recycled on some seniority list and all the "benifits" that come with being junior.

I have also been an A&P since high school, and have worked several years as one, and that doesnt seem to be such a reliable backup plan anymore either. And to ride out another cycle doesnt seem that appealing, after this cycle that is.

Just going out to the airport to bore holes in a J-3 or something seems like fun to me, and when I dont want to no more, just put back in the hanger untill I want to fly again.

DIRT

Total Time
LR25...good idea but a J3 is 30-40k now for a nice one!! My dad remembers when a J3 was 2k.

Dirt

Chubaka

Total Time
I am throwing in the towel. Going to be a "useless eater" until that becomes boring.

DC10

Total Time
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned, immaculate
LR25, good to see another Dub fan out there.

DC10

Total Time
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned, immaculate
LR25, good to see another Dub fan out there.

shooter

Call me the Tumblin' Dice
Total Time
jail?
I realized, ever since I started working in aviation, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.

Besides, I hear the airlines are now going to have every employee wear a minimum of 37 pieces of "flair".

dhawk41

Total Time
sooooo hoooows it going tooooday sooooo yeaaaaah looooks liiiiike weeee are going to neeeed yooou to taaaake anouther paaay cut. Slip yeeah

landlover

Total Time
5000+
sounds like you have a case of the mondays

Total Time
Pc load letter?!?!@$!!11eleven

Nolife

Tired Member
Total Time
4000+
Just burn it down and go to work for Penetrode. Crimson- hows FLL treating you? Talked to AC the other day and he said y'all might lay off soon.

Whistlin' Dan

Total Time
Lots
Look at past airlines, Eastern, TWA, Braniff, who would have thought in there time that they would be gone, but they are. Could it happen to the big guys today??
There's not just a possibility that it could happen, but rather, a virtual certainty that it will happen. If you look at the history of the airlines post-WWII, you'll find very few that have maintained market dominance for more than about 10-15 years.

If I were a young man coming out of college and contemplating military service, I think I'd forego pilot training and opt for something either in Physics or Nuclear Engineering.

cherry20's

Registered FI Abuser
Total Time
Hell, Lumberg F-ed her!

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Total Time
Done!
I realized, ever since I started working in aviation, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Wow, that's messed up.

jmreii

Total Time
I am sure I will get all kinds of differant answers depending on age, what you have experienced in your aviation career. With the down turn of the entire Industry, from airlines to charter, what now? Are any you guys getting out of aviation?? Are you trying to ride out the storm. I know it is cyclic, however here is where the age might come into play. How many cycles are you willing to ride. Look at past airlines, Eastern, TWA, Braniff, who would have thought in there time that they would be gone, but they are. Could it happen to the big guys today?? Just wondering what other pilots are thinking.

You can add Pan Am and a host of other national carriers that are no longer with us. I am certain there will be more airline failures down the road. I have finished one degree and have started working on my MBA. I have an interest in a couple of industries beside aviation, so if I never make myself happy again in avaition, it has been a good run.