• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation degree/Non-Aviation degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which is the best option for a young person who wants to pursue a career as a pilot?

• Aviation degree

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Non-Aviation degree

Votes: 155 71.1%

• Total voters
ceo_of_the_sofa said:
I agree with you, a non-aviation degree not only shows that you've diversified your interests, but also serves as a cushion during lean times.
Plus, can you really have a "college experience" while having to fly legally? (8 hour/.04 rule comes to mind here)

let me assure you we manage....and we take the .o4 and 8 hour rule (here its 12 hour rule) very seriously.

flywithastick said:
Think practical for a minute... when the airlines start requiring an aviation specific degree, then look at getting one. Until then, I believe you're foolish to not diversify. Getting furloughed as a pilot at some point in your career is fairly probable. You like to work? Then have a backup plan. ERAU, UND or the other "aviation colleges" don't publish their back-up plans, do they? You gonna get hired at ExxonMobil with an aviation mgmt degree? How about GM? IBM? Merck? think about it.

Get a degree in business, engineering or anything in the medical field from an accredited school.

Regarding the aviation degree in engineering - I assume you're talking about aerospace engineering. If that's absolutely what you have to have - fine. Good luck. If you want to work in the aerospace field (unless highly specialized) you can get hired with a mechanical engr degree. So when the particular project you're working on get's cut - as happens frequently - you can take your ME degree and go to work in engineering & contruction, manufacturing, semiconductors, energy, etc, etc.

After rereading the post above from abatista, I got the impression that their point was to get some aviation information or education in an engineering program. About the only thing similar between any accredited engr program and an "aviation degree" would be History 101, Economics 101, English 101... From there on, the engr coursework is almost totally analytical - calculus, physics, chemistry, mechanisms, controls, materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, design. Nothing in any engr curriculum I'm familiar with would come close to how to running a flying business, managing a group of pilots, aviation regulations or similar.

I will be the first to say that i am a Commercial Aviation and Air Traffic Control major at UND. Although i will recieve an "aeronautical" degree as some have suggested i believe the degree itself is being misrepresented. It is a Bachelors degree which can be used in a variety of different fields. Just because it says bachelors degree of aeronautics on it doesnt mean i wont be able to find a job non-aviation related. Its a degree just like any other and thats all employers care about.

J.C.Airborne said:
let me assure you we manage....and we take the .o4 and 8 hour rule (here its 12 hour rule) very seriously.

they call me chuckles

J.C.Airborne said:
I will be the first to say that i am a Commercial Aviation and Air Traffic Control major at UND. Although i will recieve an "aeronautical" degree as some have suggested i believe the degree itself is being misrepresented. It is a Bachelors degree which can be used in a variety of different fields. Just because it says bachelors degree of aeronautics on it doesnt mean i wont be able to find a job non-aviation related. Its a degree just like any other and thats all employers care about.
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, wong

J.C.Airborne said:
Really? The jobs that I tend to look at require a specific degree. Very very few are as basic as "BA/BS required."

Edited to add: Good job to JC for digging up a 2.5 year old thread :)

bart said:
The school you attend is of utmost importance and the degree secondary. You can have a doctorate from Dave's All-Night Drive-In University and it won't mean squat, while a BA from a well-known university might open doors for you. All in all I have found that it is the people that you go to school with and stay in contact with that are the most helpful when the job hunt cranks up.

Aside from that, it is what you do and how you apply yourself once out of school that really matters. University is a demarcation from formal learning to informal learning, not an arrival (as in ERAU grads being ready to fly jets and/or run an airline). An ERAU degree or similar aviation program might help you if the interviewer or boss went to school there, but that is highly unlikely outside of aviation. I even know two corporate flight depts that round file ERAU resumes as a practice, and that is based on their prior experience with know-it-all graduates that explained to them in interviews how they would run their flight department WHEN they were hired.

My advice is go the best school you can get into, regardless of whether they have an aviation program or not. If you believe in the "have a back-up" you want a school that people have heard of outside of the state you live in. If it is known nationally, so much the better.

the school you get your degree from doesnt mean ********************. its just the degree. Let me tell you about a stanford graduate who got her masters from harvard...now makes 40k a year and another college dropout making in upwards of 100k a year with no student loans. i agree a college education is neccesary and prudent, but if your trying to say the prestige of the school matters one bit...your wrong..and thats the facts.

smellthejeta said:
Really? The jobs that I tend to look at require a specific degree. Very very few are as basic as "BA/BS required."

Edited to add: Good job to JC for digging up a 2.5 year old thread :)

actually i didnt dig it up..it was on the front page when i got to it.

I know a bright guy who got his B.S. degree in electrical engineering while he learned to fly. He worked as a CFI for a while, flew charter too and then got a job at a major. So then he was furloughed and decided to go to law school. When he graduated he started his legal career as a patent lawyer making big money and was also recalled to the airline. He worked both jobs and after a few years he quit the airline. He now earns over $1,500,000 per year and owns a Falcon 10 that he uses in his legal work. If his degree had been in aviation management or whatever such degree he would not be where he is today nor would he have even had the opportunity.

Aviation degees may limit your opportunities in the future.

Latest resources

Back