Average Annual Salary For First Year FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FutureRJpilot,

good question. You should know what you are getting into when you commit to this business.

Analyze the companies you are considering and really know who you are interviewing to work for.

Understand who has better contracts, per diem rates, minimum monthly guarantees in terms of days off, pay hours, etc. Don't settle for some airline where your quality of life will really suck, you don't know if management is going to screw you over, or the pilots complain about working there or each other.

I too took the corporate route for awhile. Now I work for one of the best regional airlines in the industry, Air Wisconsin. Nothing is guaranteed because we are all tied to the big boys like United but if the industry holds together you can do pretty well.

I chose AWAC because they actually pay you during training. Treat you well during training. Have a good paying contract with good per diem rates. And, last but not least. I never hear anyone complaining about working at Air Wisconsin. Two other reputable companies are Skywest and Comair.

Do a search of info on these three companies compared to lots of others and decide what you want for yourself. You have a long way to go but thinking about it and asking questions now will help you make a better decision when you have opportunities in the future.

Let me add that many pilots are happy with many other regional airlines due to location, aircraft and various other reasons but it pays to know what you are getting into.

Do the right thing and you will not be sorry.

Speedtree,
Thanks to everyone for all the information, to Speedtree, I am from the Northwest and would like to stay here or at least on the west coast. I know people at SkyWest and Horizon that will write me a LOC, my first choice is Horizon though because they have a base here in Portland and from what I hear are a great copmany to fly for. And to TyWebb, I am definately considering the corporate route also, it does seem like a great gig but it seems a little harder to get into than regional. Anyways thanks again, anymore info is appreciated.

Instead of saying average salary it should say average earnings!

My first year as an FO based in California required me to charge an additional $6000 to my credit cards just to survive. By my 3rd year I was finally able to start paying off the credit cards and make a little bit of money.

I heard a fellow pilot tell me he'ld be better off going back to Iowa and sucking buffalo **** for a nickle a heard. He would make more money and get his self respect back!

Eww may I contribute!

FutureRJPilot, while on your way to that high paying career job do not forget you are going to need more than just the 250TT commercial pilot certificate. Most likely the lucrative career as a flight instructor is in your future. So here are some very accurate numbers for you.

Jan 1 2002 to Dec 31 2002 my W2 reported $31,211.66 (compared to the other replys this is extremely lucrative)

The logbook tells me I logged 871.3TT... 784.4SE... 86.9ME and 795.1 as a CFI. I have no idea how much time I spent doing ground or simulator work.

My wife tells me I worked, for the most part, 6 if not 7 days a week, an average of 10 hours a day sometimes as many as 15 (on 3 occasions I exceeded the 8 hours flight in the past 24). For those long hours I billed about 5 to 7 hours a day.

To be able to earn the right to instruct I signed promissory notes to banks and creditors for more than $70,000 in direct costs for a college degree and the multitude of FAA ratings.

Between Monday and Friday I narrowly avert death at least once. On Saturdays and Sundays at least a half dozen times.

I am looking forward to working at the next level whether it’s at a commuter, charter, or cargo company. I have no idea how I’ll afford it.

In my heart I believe this is the best job I have ever had. If not the easiest.

Where are?

"Between Monday and Friday I narrowly avert death at least once. On Saturdays and Sundays at least a half dozen times."

Sounds like typical Central California valley flying near LVK!! I hate flying on weekends; watching those warbirds in formation is fun, but avoiding them at the nearby uncontrolled airports is a different story.

buck

LVK cluster action...

I hear ya on the LVK tip: I intstructed about 1,000 hours there before my present job and now regularly going into SFO and LAX is smooth and orderly compared to the (all too frequent) times when those class D controllers would lose the picture and suddenly 10 planes in the pattern would have to scatter in different directions.

Many times I though Livermore would be better uncontrolled, let us take care of ourselves...

Latest resources

Back