Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jws717

registered abuser
I was wondering what are the usual min times are for 135 F/Os are these days?

And if it is still commen to see pilots with 200 tt flying right seat because they know the right people, (or because they are a realy hot chick )?

Depends on what type of aircraft. Most operations are single pilot (except jets), and as such will require 135 IFR mins (see the FARs). I was VERY fortunate to find a "part time" SIC job with 250 TT. I also put in my 40 hours a week working as the operations administrator for my company. I've probably learned more working in the office dealing with the FAA and TSA then flying.

jws717 said:
I was wondering what are the usual min times are for 135 F/Os are these days?

And if it is still commen to see pilots with 200 tt flying right seat because they know the right people, (or because they are a realy hot chick )?
Are you a hot chick?? If so then you can have what ever you want.
I heard that Airnet will start using the prop SIC program again. However I think you need VFR 135 PIC min.
usc

No im a guy, so i have to work for a living, not to say i dont mind working with a hot chick. I like the idea of working as an administrator, i have an aviation degree. If my current cfi job dosent deliver the goods, i might consider that idea.

Im looking for SIC on a turbo prop or jet

I dont know what you mean about airnet props, did you mean the Barrons?

Last edited:
jws717 said:
I dont know what you mean about airnet props, did you mean the Barrons?
If you do not meet 135 IFR PIC mins you will be a prop SIC in any of the props, not just Barons. It is in our ops specs which are authorized by the FAA that we can have prop SIC's, therefore it is loggable towards total time.
Here is the link:
http://www.airnet.com/Careers/Flight_crew/flight_initial.htm
It is not PFT or anything like that, you are a paid crew member. I do not think that they have hired any SICs recently. However there is some what of a pilot shortage as we have alot of prop pilots mostly leaving for the regionals. I have heard that they will start hiring SICs again. They are usually put on runs out of CMH with 8-10 hours of flight. Having the SIC allows them to go over 8 hours. Conciquently you will get your 1200 tt very fast.
good luck
usc

The time you'll need simply depends on the company, there are so many different operators with so many different aircraft that there is no generic flight time to apply.

However it is extremely unlikely to get something with 200TT, especially Jet/Trurbo-prop.

Most of what I've seen is about 1500 for SIC in a Jet and 1000 to 1500 SIC in a Turbo-prop.

I got in at just over 1,000 TT.

I'm sure that has gone up somewhat, with experienced people being out of work, and all.

I just got my first 135 gig with 1500TT & ATP, and I consider myself lucky! I know some instructors who have a bad run of luck finding work. I've met other guys out there SIC'ing on King Airs with as low as 300hrs. Or SIC'ing in a Jet with only 700hrs. It make's me feel ill. If only I had that shot I'd be way ahead of where I am now. But It's all worked out for now.

I think it has a lot to do with what the company may expect of you in the future. Companies that like high timers may be thinking of how easily they could move an SIC into the left seat. Low time ugys aren't going to be moving into the left seat for quite some time, so that company may be looking for seat warmers. I'm not an insurance agent -but imagine insuring a guy in a learjet with only 200 hrs. PIC with everything else SIC, at 1200TT. Just a guess, but.....

Maybe I'll call Avemco and run the thought by them, if they hang up on me.....well then, we'll know.

But for anyone building time out there- jump on any flight time you can get...legally and safely that is!

Good luck!

hey!

I became captain in a lear with 1200 TT..... flew with a copilot that had 300TT, and no problem getting insurance.

Nowadays the insurance companies ARE getting a lot stricter though, this was about 4 years ago... times change, but we still fly with lowtime co-pilots in the Lears, just a CPL/IR that's all they want.

Latest resources

Back