Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Haven't seen much about Avantair lately. Just wondering if anything new (rumor or real) is going down these days.

Management has been talking about pay raises and better work rules for us. Very little action, mostly talk. FO's got a pay raise and per diem went up, other than that it's been quiet. I'm starting to wonder if they were serious about any of this or were they just blowing smoke up our outflow valves to thwart the union drive? Time will tell. Hey Mav, what's the number of that truck driving school?

Dilligaff

Dilligaff said:
Management has been talking about pay raises and better work rules for us. Very little action, mostly talk. FO's got a pay raise and per diem went up, other than that it's been quiet. I'm starting to wonder if they were serious about any of this or were they just blowing smoke up our outflow valves to thwart the union drive? Time will tell. Hey Mav, what's the number of that truck driving school?

Dilligaff

Do you guys have many people leaving for the other frax like NJA and CS? I would assume that having fractional experience at Avantair would be advantageous when applying to NJA? When pilots leave Avantair, do most go to the other frax or to 121?

I would imagine that your management would want to make staying more appealing (better pay, QOL, etc.) to at least reduce their training costs...

Hey Mav, what's the number of that truck driving school?

While that line was funny in the movie Top Gun, in real life it is no laughing matter. Truck drivers should never make more than pilots, but some do. I don't even want to think about how many. It makes my blood boil. Avantair managers are like many others. They'll toss out some crumbs to placate the crowd, and then return to feast at their golden table. Corporate greed is alive and well. Do you really think the pax would not be shocked to learn that their pilot(s) make less than a truck driver? Why don't we know the salaries of management? Someone's laughing all the way to the bank, and funny lines notwithstanding, I don't think it's the pilots of Avantair.

Avantair: you fly the same kind of people in the same kind of weather. Your aircraft are just as "complex" as any turbofan...let's get you guys on our website and start a petition drive too.

Since it looks like the thread is heading that way (which is fine), what is the current pilot attitude towards a union? Is it gaining momentum, or is it just talk?
I am taking more of an interest in this as I have a buddy who just forwarded my resume to the powers that be. Yup, after talking about it for a couple of eons, I finally sent a resume out! :)

Owner chat

Speaking of unions, this is interesting- an owner came up to the cockpit to chat just today. He asked me straight up how much we make, so I figured what the heck, why not tell him? He almost had a heart attack when he found out what we make, especially FO's. He was like, " I can't believe this. I was told during our sales chat that the pilots make in the vicinity of 80 or 90 grand." I just shook my head and didnt reply to that. Then he said, " Now I know why the Avantair pilots dont always seem too motivated. I wouldn't be even as nice as you guys are for the money you make." Need I say more, management pukes?

And is it any wonder that the company doesn't want the pilots telling the owners how bad the pay is....excuse me, (read with sarcasm) how much they're paid. They want the pilots to perpetuate the myth. Could it be that they're worried that the owners will ask for an accounting of how their management fees are being spent? They give the impression that the pilots are paid decently because they know that the owners would be shocked to learn the truth. You know your skills, but put yourself in the owner's place. How confident would you feel knowing that there are garbage collectors making more than your pilot? Rather frightening for those who believe that you get what you pay for!

Ill Mitch said:
Since it looks like the thread is heading that way (which is fine), what is the current pilot attitude towards a union? Is it gaining momentum, or is it just talk?
I am taking more of an interest in this as I have a buddy who just forwarded my resume to the powers that be. Yup, after talking about it for a couple of eons, I finally sent a resume out! :)

Mitch,

It seems to me that the majority of the pilots would rather not have a union, but if management doesn't come through with their promises there will be more people sending in their union cards - mine is still sitting on my desk at home. If I don't see some action soon, I will drop it in the mail. Truthfully, I don't see anyone banging down the door to get out of here - yet.

The president of the company has been meeting with a few pilots to discuss the issues and he conducted on open conference call where we could all voice our opinions. A lot of good topics were discussed for about 2.5 hours - but there is still no follow through on management's part (new payscale was supposed to be announced several weeks ago). Pilots are starting to lose their patience.

Dilligaff

Latest resources

Back