Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AvantAir entire fleet grounded for mx Inspections?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as the passengers go, they wouldn't have even given the event a thought if it weren't for "Capt. JD" walking around the FBO, showing off the video

So, wait a minute,,,, the passengers would not have given a second thought about a guy, according to you, making an emergency single engine landing? It was that common over there? Jesus, sounds like they should shut it down.
No place for operators like this. If this is true, it was only a matter of time.

Does Sterile Cockpit include the use of an iPad as a video recording device? Also, if it was a personal iPad, does 135 allow the use below 10,000' for pax or crew?

Piaggios don't have a cockpit door, likely the passengers witnessed two pilots, as I can't imagine them ever seeing this before, they probably called someone to ask about the practice. They probably wouldn't like their crew playing angry bird or watching a video either.

The ramblings of the post that fugazi re-posted, I flew with the guy. The time ticked slowly by, if ya know what I mean...

All the Avantair pilots I know are stand up guys, well trained and able to keep their passengers and themselves safe by making good safe decisions. As far as I have seen, there is nothing out there alluding to unsafe pilot practices that are not dealt with, like the sterile cockpit issue. The pilots I have flown with all know when to call BS and they do!

There have been some MX questions that seem to have been building for the past few years. I won't be the guy who speculates the reasons, but trust that the FAA is working with the company to correct these conditions.

Combined with the recent and sudden uncomunicated changes in schedules and benefits, how this recall is handled is being watched closely by us all. Should we survive these unforeseen events, I am sure our pilot group will continue to anticipate and persue whatever is required to continue to be a safe, effective operating group.

As far as the passengers go, they wouldn't have even given the event a thought if it weren't for "Capt. JD" walking around the FBO, showing off the video

So, wait a minute,,,, the passengers would not have given a second thought about a guy, according to you, making an emergency single engine landing? It was that common over there? Jesus, sounds like they should shut it down.
No place for operators like this. If this is true, it was only a matter of time.

Capt JD must be the unluckiest guy in the world.

I didn't have even one engine failure in 2500 hours at AAIR.

Yea, yea and and they threated to fire me if I didn't make a run with a 1000 keys of Mexican bang bang and a dozen hookers for a party in Vegas for a group of Bishops. That place is off the chain!

Found this little ditty on another forum..interesting read!

Not surprised a bit about the maintenance. They've always had bad maintenance. Most of the pilots there don't know it. I've spent enough time in the shop and dealing with the maintenance side of the house to have seen it, though. I've personally seen falsification of maintenance paperwork on numerous occasions at Avantair, as well as pressure to fly unairworthy aircraft. Improper repairs. A gear door that was falling off. Two occasions of lightening strikes … …

I once picked up one of their airplanes from maintenance, flew it on a short leg, and landed with sixteen major squawks. The company accused me of performing "shirt-pocket maintenance." I asked what that meant, and I was told I'd obviously been flying the airplane for a week, and hiding all the squawks. When I pointed out .………

I found one of electrical tape hiding an annunciator that was illuminated full time, with a bogus MEL sign off. The FAA got hold of that one, threatened to yank the company 135 certificate. The mechanic who signed it off got fired, and the base closed. The Director of Operations quit (reportedly had a nervous br………

I was threatened with termination twice for "flying through thunderstorms" that resulted in "lightening strikes," although neither time did we go near a storm. Turns out that the company had the ........

I was in the shop one day when the police arrived to take away one of the senior mechanics, in handcuffs.

We had an airplane get so hot due to a bleed leak that the passenger, a wealthy owner, took off his clothes and lay on the floor to escape the heat. All of his christmas gifts melted. I grounded the airplane. The company demanded I fly it. That happened twice.

When I went through FSI, the instructor asked if anyone in the class had experienced any emergencies. Every person replied yes, and we took a list of what we'd collectively experienced...every emergency and abnormal in the book, just in that small group, in a one year period. I had an engine failure, rapid depressurization, gear failure, brake failures, total electrical failures, and a host of other issues.

I was fired for trying to bring a union on the property...and I didn't know anything about the union...didn't find out about it until later, when Santo himself offered me my job back...and instructed me to make sure everyone knew it had nothing to do with ............

Their training bond, offered after people had already quit their other jobs and were in class for initial...very poor form. Eighteen grand and not even a type rating?

Blah ....blah......the ********************ing blah!
edit for mind nbing OCD details.

Last edited:
Are you condoning the concealment/whitewash of facts, or the shady maintenance/management policies observed here, sir?

When did self-disclosure equate betrayal of one's brethren workers?

*spit*

Just saying, "sir" , no need to post all the ugly details here and dime out the whole pilot group! Let the FAA do their job.

Avantair pilots might consider finding a good aviation attorney while this investigation is going on. If the FAA finds anybody was hiding anything they will surely come after certificates. I know there are no union attorneys but AOPA has a legal team that might be able to help. My understanding is that violations are now permanent on records, if that is the case and some are handed out good luck finding another job. Might cost some dough for an attorney, but would be money well spent i it saves your ticket.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back