Avantair Bases and Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FloridaFlyer

Ok so with the big list of bases at Avantair... What are they currently hiring into and how hard is it to change bases once you are with the company. Are they currently or in the near future trying to staff any of their Florida Bases with pilots???? Is there any medical?? Good coverage?? It's been awful silent from you Avantair guys lately so lets here some info from those that work there. Please lets not get into all the Co-pilot can't fly stuff and let's not turn this thread into a Union/Non union thread. Just good facts please so that those of us looking to apply will have some more info. Oh yeah are the Phenom 100's still ordered or did that whole thing fall apart??? Thanks guys and gals for the info in advance. Let's keep it professional :) I know there is still a long way to go for things to improve.

Last edited:
Ok, so I will try and answer your questions:

1. Bases: I dont know what bases they are hiring into a, but last I heard there is no one getting hired into Florida. I think there are some people who would like to move to Florida before any FO's get hired into a Florida base. From what I understand moving is a matter of calling to see if they have an opening in a base, yet I dont know anyone who has done it..... I know there are none in Florida or Reno.

2. There is medical coverage. If your are single with no kids... Its not too bad. If you have a family its awful due to the price. On the other hand my wifes family health insurance is just as bad.

3. The co-pilot can fly now.... with a few limitations in the beginning.

4. Phenom: As of right now, they are still coming. Or at least thats what they are telling the line pilots. I have my own feelings on the deal but keep it to myself.

Best of Luck,

celloman

If you like 14 hr days.1 week of denied vacation for your first 2 years of employment.No respect and the most disoganized operation you can imagine.THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU......

Family medical works out to around $390/mo.

Flying is very diverse, all around the country, pretty far reaching for a Turboprop. Crews are all pretty decent folks.

99% top-notch hotels.

Your time off is your time off!

Pretty busy work lately, lots of long days, but if you don't mind being busy, it makes the week go by quick.

7/7 schedule, but often 8th day is needed for commute home (at 150% day rate). More often lately.

And, if you want to make extra $$, there's plenty of OT available lately, (at 150%)

It's a great fit for me, commuting only once a week.

Feel free to PM if you want more info by phone or anything.

Good: I like my base & up to 2 hr. drive to it. Great hotels. No reserve at the FBO's. (mostly because of tight schedules) 98% of the customers are easy to work with. Quick upgrade. Crew meal policy is reasonable. Great product that is easy to sell.

What I don't like: FO pay weak. CA pay from year 3-4 weak. Family medical expensive. Unlikely to get home on your 7th day. Might loose 2nd year vacation week. Impulsive response to FLL incident and unfair to the crew it happened to. Short staffed so everyone is working longer hours and schedules are more difficult. General disorganization and miscommunication.

I am still optomistic that things will get better. It wouldn't take much to make it an outstanding palce to work.

Ok thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Is there anymore information out there as to which bases they are filling currently? Yeah I agree the family medical seems a bit high. Oh yeah and as an after thought do you guys lug the Jepp charts around or is everything electronic flightbag like some of the other Fracs???? Sounds like a solid new frac company so far that just has some growing pains and issues to work out in time.

What's your flying background? Primarily 121 or 91? If you prefer 121, then Avantair is not for you. If you like 91, then it's probably not so bad.

The Good: Varied flying, generally nice hotels.

The Bad: Safety is not a priority in the operation; insurance for a family is very expensive; the mechanical reliability of the Piaggio is not very good; no spare parts; no support from the management; the pilots do everything, including clean the lav; the CP and DO shouldn't be in charge of a circle jerk, let alone a pilot group; you are expected to fly no matter the weather or condition of the aircraft; I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

PM me any specific questions, and I'll fill you in.

the pilots do everything, including clean the lav; .
That's easy to fix. Turn them in to OSHA. OSHA requires hepititus shots, face shiled, aprons, gloves, training programs, programs to clean the protective gear, etc.

Bodily fluids are a biohazard. OSHA has strict rules on biohazards.

Latest resources

Back