• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Automation: Boeing vs. Airbus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I remember back in the day that my Atari and Commodore 64 ran faster than the MD11 POS FMS!!! Watching that thing go blank for eons while it calculates blows my mind!

Perfect for a long-haul over the ocean. It's when ATL, JFK, ORD ... change runways/STAR's at the last minute that things get interesting. :smash:

The main difference between Airbus and Boeing is the design philosophy. In a nutshell, the pilot has ultimate control in a Boeing whereas the plane retains ultimate control on a bus.
Well, if you mean a Boeing guy has the authority to over "G" the airframe or bank more than 60 degrees, OK. Although, if the unusual attitude in the Bus is due to an "upset", full control authority is available.
The only time I have used more than 60 degrees of bank in a Boeing, was doing the "Loop" out of LA at night!
(Mr. FAA, that was a JOKE)!!!

The A320 won't even start a VNAV descent on it's own.

Yea, what's up with that? The Bus is a weird mix of "you can't do that because the engineer that designed it is smarter than you" and "why did you forget to start down"? It helps me do things I do well for myself like keeping the greasy side down, and doesn't help much in areas in which I need help, like starting down at the end of a long redeye. The UNS1's I flew years ago in corporate aircraft would at least give you a "top of descent" alert.

The UNS1's I flew years ago in corporate aircraft would at least give you a "top of descent" alert.

As does the bus, although it is not audible, I suppose you can program the "other guy" to yell at you :)

I have to laugh though, most people think the AB is too automated, yet the very same wants the a/c to initiate VNAV by itself.

It always comes down to the Boeing lovers wanting ultimate control stalling, overbanking etc and AB drivers defending the hard limits in the a/c. As someone else has already pointed out, the safety statistics are about the same for both types, so I guess it comes down to what one got used to!

Yea, what's up with that? The Bus is a weird mix of "you can't do that because the engineer that designed it is smarter than you" and "why did you forget to start down"? It helps me do things I do well for myself like keeping the greasy side down, and doesn't help much in areas in which I need help, like starting down at the end of a long redeye. The UNS1's I flew years ago in corporate aircraft would at least give you a "top of descent" alert.

Airbus' version of a TOD alert is a little more cryptic; you'll just get a small "more drag" annunciator on the PFD and MCDU.

FWIW I much prefer the Boeing box (Honeywell) with it's logical programming inputs, but Airbus' automation

Airbus' version of a TOD alert is a little more cryptic; you'll just get a small "more drag" annunciator on the PFD and MCDU.

FWIW I much prefer the Boeing box (Honeywell) with it's logical programming inputs, but Airbus' automation

The little red donut popping up where the GS scale goes ain't enough for you? Me neither!

I really like how you have the winds in, start down right on schedule for a multi step arrival like LGA and about a third of the way down all the constraints turn amber. Thanks Fifi, I love you too!

Agreed on the MCDU syntax. When I went to the G450 I kept trying to make lateral and vertical revisions to the flight plan. All it would do was drop to the scratch pad and cause the sim instructor to swat me with his paperwork.

My opinion:

Flown 737 (300,500,700,800,900), 757 (200,300), and A300/A310

The automation in the 737-500 was better than that in the A300/310. That ought to tell you something.

My opinion:

Flown 737 (300,500,700,800,900), 757 (200,300), and A300/A310

The automation in the 737-500 was better than that in the A300/310. That ought to tell you something.

Why? The A300 is a 70's design that was last updated in the early 80's, the 737-500 was launched in 87 and entered service in 1990.

Latest resources

Back