• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Austin BBQ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I texas they use that nasty red sauce. Might as well just put ketchup on it. Its gotta have vinegar based sauce and its gotta be cooked in a big hole to measure up.

Stubbs comes highly recommended from my friends. However, further south is Lockhart, Texas. From the airport, it's probably not much further than downtown. There's a BBQ place there that is world class. It was a family business that split (family feud) and one of the "family halves" remained in Lockhart. Very good stuff.

With all due respect to the in NC, Salt Licks sauce was not that usual ketchup stuff you find in TX and KC. It was obviously made by a true professional. Next time in AUS I will try some of the others that were mentioned.

I am told AUS is going to become a regular stop and the boss wants BBQ.

The Salt Lick sausages were hard to beat as well.

G4G5--The Ironworks was out behind that dump of a layover hotel we stayed at. Pretty good BBQ. But then, again, there's a lot of good meat in AUS... And not all of it is slathered in BBQ sauce! :p (Although it could be. ;) ) TC

AA717driver said:
G4G5--The Ironworks was out behind that dump of a layover hotel we stayed at. Pretty good BBQ. But then, again, there's a lot of good meat in AUS... And not all of it is slathered in BBQ sauce! :p (Although it could be. ;) ) TC

The Hotel was a dump but I use to bid those trips just for the visits to the Iron Works. Then a leisurely stroll down main street for a local talent search. The a night cap at the bar where that awesome Stevie Ray impersonator played. One of the better layover cities.

“George W. Bush voted Iron Works Barbecue one of his favorite places to eat while in the capital city”.
- Time Magazine

“Pork Ribs are deliciously cooked perfectly seasoned, and particularly greaseless”.
- New York Times

"The beef brisket is top of the line, slow cooked for 16 hours and tender enough to cut with a plastic fork."
- US News and World Report

“An old tin building nestled against the Austin Convention Center offers Texas Barbecue at it’s best. Go for the succulent ribs, the fall apart brisket, and special recipe sausage. Thousands of customers and fans like Jay Leno, and Leonardo Dicaprio keep it smoking.”
- INSTYLE Magazine

http://www.ironworksbbq.com/reviews.asp

AA717driver said:

Oh yea!!!

A whole thread about Austin BBQ and I missed it! Everyone here represented well though, as all the good places were mentioned. I might also add Rudy's, which I find to be good as well.

Glad your boss was happy!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back