• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

August 1/2 NJA interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good news for you guys. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Wondering what they are telling you guys in the interview regarding upgrade times. Are they being honest about the slowdown?

Good news for you guys. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Wondering what they are telling you guys in the interview regarding upgrade times. Are they being honest about the slowdown?

Nah... In June they told me it was still running 24 months.

I'll be in 10/8 class for the X also (TEB)...I interviewed in June but turned down an Aug. 6th class. I wanted to hold out for an airplane w/ an APU.

We were told 2-3 yrs. for upgrade also...But after spending over 4 yrs at Comair w/out upgrading I'm really not concerned with waiting 4-5 at NJ. Especially considering that when I do upgrade I'll be making a descent wage as opposed to waiting 4-5 at Comair to make a sh^^y wage.

And now back to the orginal topic:

Got the call this afternoon. 10/8 class for the Ultra in PBI.

Application was accepted 4/25 and interview was on 8/2 for those of you who are thinking of applying. Had 5 letters of rec from NJA guys.

What do you guys that have flown the Ultra think about it?

Congrats and welcome aboard! The Ultra isn't a bad airplane, just a little cozy and in dire need of an APU. Most trips are 2 hours or less and you will see some very cool out of the way places. I have heard that the workload isn't what it used to be, so not bad in that regard either. The lav sucks (and stinks), you will quickly learn to tip heavily to have it taken care of. Decent performer if a bit on the slow side but good out of the short and high runways. Welcome to NJA!

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome aboard! The Ultra isn't a bad airplane, just a little cozy and in dire need of an APU. Most trips are 2 hours or less and you will see some very cool out of the way places. I have heard that the workload isn't what it used to be, so not bad in that regard either. The lav sucks (and stinks), you will quickly learn to tip heavily to have it taken care of. Decent performer if a bit on the slow side but good out of the short and high runways. Welcome to NJA!

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to be here. My buddy on the 400 says it's at least better than that one, but I'm guessing that's about it :)

Last edited:
I know with that grammar, I'm not talking with Warren Buffet.

If you're going to criticize someone's grammar, you probably ought to make damn sure that your spelling is perfect. I'm sure Mr. Buffett would appreciate it. :D

To the guys that just got hired: Welcome!

Hi!

A friend of mine was told if he was hired at DAL now he wouldn't upgrade to capt for 15 years. His DAL friend told him how long he had been at DAL without upgrade.

His friend was kind of right, but he is working with old info, because there was no hiring from 2001-2007.

A DAL captain bid came out, and the DAL guys on various boards said the jr captain would be a 1999 hire. If you went to DAL now, you would be 3 years junior from a guy who just made captain now.

You're hired in the 2nd half of 2007. Going 12 months back for new hires you're now to the beginning of 2001. You then go back 2 more years to 1999.

So, it could be as low as a 3 year upgrade at DAL now. The are hiring a ton and buying a ton of planes, most of which are long range, which means more pilots are needed per plane, which means more captains per plane the the older domestic models.

cliff
ILN

Where in the hell did DAL upgrades come from. We are talking about NJA, not DAL. You should post this information in the Majors section where people want to go to DAL.

Thanks.

Hi!

A friend of mine was told if he was hired at DAL now he wouldn't upgrade to capt for 15 years. His DAL friend told him how long he had been at DAL without upgrade.

His friend was kind of right, but he is working with old info, because there was no hiring from 2001-2007.

A DAL captain bid came out, and the DAL guys on various boards said the jr captain would be a 1999 hire. If you went to DAL now, you would be 3 years junior from a guy who just made captain now.

You're hired in the 2nd half of 2007. Going 12 months back for new hires you're now to the beginning of 2001. You then go back 2 more years to 1999.

So, it could be as low as a 3 year upgrade at DAL now. The are hiring a ton and buying a ton of planes, most of which are long range, which means more pilots are needed per plane, which means more captains per plane the the older domestic models.

cliff
ILN

OK Pyle, that's great if you're at DAL. We are talking about NJA. Look at DAL FO payscales, and compare them to the NJA payscales. NJA FO payscales after year one suck. So I don't see the point of comparing them to DAL Capt. upgrades?

It's about making a living. a pilot should be able to support the family without worrying about an upgrade.

Hi!

Sorry-it would've made more sense to add this:

popgoesthebubble wrote:
But back to the real question Netjets is still a great company to work for compaired to a Regional airline. but be prepared to not upgrade for awhile not as long at Delta, UAL or Alaska which is + 10 Years. However, still looking at Delta looks like there doing alot of Hiring into the 75/76 and 2nd year pay is $77 hr at 85 hours a month thats about $85K at second year compared to 60 -65K here. but we don't have to commute or have crash pads, airport cars and we pocket all are per diem as we get free crew meals. But as stated IBT and the company have to address FO pay rates here otherwise were gonna lose guys to the majors.

I don't think upgrades at DAL, USAir (who will hire very soon) or CAL will be too long, which puts more pressure on NJA to increase FO pay. It's hard to tell about upgrades at NWA. UAL hasn't ordered any new planes, so upgrades there WILL probably be long.

cliff
ILN

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back