Attn. United Haters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Redmeat said:
UAL must be very proud of you Captain WatchYourElbows.
She's not a Captain, unless they are currently handing out type ratings on the soda cart. She is indeed one of the esteemed corps 'de la galley hags, a long forgotten stewardess that sold her soul to UAL for cheap airfare to Barbados. Now thirty odd years later she hasn't met Mr. Right, she’s a waitress at a bad restaurant at 37000 feet, and she's looking for that next pilot to blame her whole derisory life on. CHAOS my a$$, you broads didn't even have the decorousness to go through with the threat like the Mechanics at NWA did, so go find another copy of Cosmo stuffed in the back pocket of another 737, and rethink how your life may have turned out different, if only you had not quit the drive thru job at Del Taco.

"Oh yeah, just wait till you're on the jumpseat and the JetBlue guys are lecturing you on dragging down the industry"

There's plenty of time for it with the out and back to LGB.

Wow!

Seems like the good old UAL bashing is alive and well....

I haven't flown one stinking -400 out to VCV this year, so if you all want to jumpseat let me know I am LAX based.

To bad we are not going out of Business like some of you were dreaming about.

Mugs]So liquidating UAL would have saved the . Further growth by LCC's (current and future upstarts) would not have affected the future viability of those plans at the remaining legacy carriers. Is that your opinion?

I never said it would have saved the defined benefit pension plans in the U.S. airline industry. Are you saying what UAL did was good for the industry?

It cracks me up when people hide behind the LCC excuse. Take a close look at Airtran, they have a 10.5% B fund. How do you explain that?

Would it have helped, absolutly. Even the director of the PBGC acknowledges that this will only lead to more defaults. Next you are going to tell me that UAL's ability to dump all it's pensions has nothing to do with DAL and NWA rushing to beat the 10/17 deadline. The folks at DAL and NWA are about to lose their pensions, or do you think that they will actually come out of CH11 with them intact? Are you going to tell me that UAL dump had no effect on their mgt's decisions? I never want to see anyone lose their jobs, heck I watched my father go through this at Pan Am but the line had to be drawn somewhere? Instead you folks opened the barn door.

The ATSB, in denying UAL's final request for the ATSB loan, said that UAL had sufficient access to the capital markets for financing. Thus, there was no need for UAL to receive an ATSB loan. However, the ATSB knew that the captial markets were not willing to loan UAL anything with the pension obligation in place. It can be assumed that given the UAL situation and the apparent lack of enthusiasm in Washington to pass any meaningful pension reform (as far as the airline industry is concerned), the Government had already accepted the reality of the collapse of the defined benefit pension plan in the U.S. airline industry. Afterall, it was the Government that deregulated the airlines to begin with, while making no requirement that new entrants offer pensions and other traditional benefits to their workforces.

The PBGC does not have theability to differentiate between sectors. It can't come out and say it's ok for the airline to dump their pension but not the auto industry. Their lies the problem. UAL mgt has started something that none of ever wanted to see happen.
Plenty of companies like Time Warner and IBM have switched from defined benefit plans to 401k plans without screwing their employes or the public.

The industry is simply evolving as the Government intended. Thanks to the internet, it is finally happening. The pension defaults are viewed as a relatively small cost for a longer term benefit. Nothing to be proud of, but the economics of it all are unstoppable with or without UAL in the picture

http://news.morningstar.com/news/PR/M07/D20/1121862660469.html
Arpey pointed out that in addition to earning a modest profit, AMR was able to contribute $75 million to its various defined benefit pension plans in the second quarter, bringing its total contributions to the plans this year to $213 million. AMR also was able to grow its cash balance, ending the period with $3.9 billion in cash and short-term investments, including a restricted balance of $492 million.

http://news.morningstar.com/news/PR/M07/D20/1121857267003.html
During the quarter, Continental made pension contributions of $50 million of cash and 6.1 million shares of ExpressJet stock. The contribution of ExpressJet stock resulted in a $47 million gain recognized during the quarter. The company also made pension contributions of an additional $40 million of cash to the pension plans in July of 2005, bringing the total year-to-date contributions to the plans to $220 million. [font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Continental expects to make $84 million in additional contributions to its pension plans this year, fulfilling its required funding obligations. [/font]

No it's pretty clear that you are hiding behind the, "it would have happened anyway" excuse. If that's the case then how do you explain AMR and CAL making their pension payments? It has nothing to do with, it would have happened any and everything to do with poor mgt.

Last edited:
WatchYourElbows said:
AGAIN.......who was the first to dump their pensions?

delete

Last edited:
WatchYourElbows said:
Must be sad to live your LCC lives wishing that UAL would go under so that MAYBE someday you could fly the REAL jets. Too bad, so sad.

delete

Last edited:
WatchYourElbows said:
Must be sad to live your LCC lives wishing that UAL would go under so that MAYBE someday you could fly the REAL jets. Too bad, so sad.

I agree with that 100%

HA! HA! HA! HA!

UNITED WILL STAND................

Read it, learn it, LIVE IT !!!!!

Latest resources

Back