• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Attn: Commutair pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, we're down to only 4 bases now, so there aren't too many to shuffle between!

I'd say the most junior are Utica/Syracuse and Rochester. Plattsburgh used to be pretty junior, but with the furlough, that changed; it's mainly the guys who've been here a while and moved up there, with a few exceptions.

Plattsburgh and Utica/Syracuse have nothing but out-and-back day trips. (And with Utica being a 50-mile drive from Syracuse, you'd need a car at that end, too; you're on your own getting between the two cities.) Rochester has one overnight trip, but its report time is 9:40am, making it a real risky commute to do same-day.

Albany's really the ONLY base you can realistically commute to; that's a big reason it's gone so senior these days. It's the only base with lots of overnights; most report around 11am, with one reporting around 230pm.

I have a class date of 4/8 and I was wondering if there are any crashpads in Plattsburgh. I don't want to get a place until I see what base I get and hotels are an expensive way to live, even if you split the cost. Any info would be appreciated.

You don't need a crash pad while your in training, the compay pays for the hotel. Wait till you get a base assignment and then start asking about a crashpad.

You don't need a crash pad while your in training, the compay pays for the hotel. Wait till you get a base assignment and then start asking about a crashpad.

Are you sure about that?

I was told that we get pay and per diem but hotel expenses were our responsibility. They said the first 2 nights are paid for and then they pair you up. With 2 people in the room the per diem is supposed to be enough to cover the hotel. Things are probably different now compared to previous classes. I just think a crash pad would be a better way to go. Maybe put some extra cash in my pocket to help pay for the hotel in NY for sim training.

I was with CommutAir for just under the past 2 years and in that time they have never picked up the tab for the hotel. Unless something has changed recently you will get paid your guarantee (19 hours/week, $16/hour) and 24 hour per diem ($1.25/hour) while in training with the per diem meant to cover your hotel costs. You stay at the Best Western and, from what I remember, if you pair up with another person it ends up costing maybe $20 a day, which is more than covered by your per diem.

Even if you can save a little money by going the crashpad route I would still advise you to stay in the hotel while in training. You'll have a lot of studying to do and your classmates will be convenient and valuable assets that can help you learn your stuff. They're in the same boat as you. IMHO, staying in a crashpad will not be very conducive to studying and, since training is only 3 weeks, it isn't worth the trouble.

Last edited:
I have to second the Colonel's comments. CommutAir DOES NOT pay for your hotels until you pass your check ride. However, the per diem is enough to cover the 3 weeks in PLB and the one week in LGA. Unless the rates have changed, stay at the Days Inn in Plattsburgh instead of the BW because it's cheaper. It's not a Hilton, but it will get the job done. I had no trouble making ends meet during training. In fact, you will make more during training than you ever will as an FO, so enjoy it!

Definitely do the hotel thing during training and wait until your base assignment to start looking for a pad. Plus, a crashpad in PLB won't really do you any good since it is currently a pretty senior base and only has 9 FO's. However, it may be getting more junior in the near future as most of the senior FO's here will be upgrading and fleeing to ALB.

SuperD

Latest resources

Back