• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Attention pilots w/back problems

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Avoiding back problems for me has been about keeping my core muscles strong (Read Ab Muscles). I have been involved in amateur wrestling for years and continue to wrestle. I turned 30 last month and can still Bang with the young guys although my lower back and knees will sometimes hurt the next day. A lot of lower back problems are caused by weak or weaker abs. Wrestling is one of the hardest sports on your back and knees, you have to keep your core muscles strong to avoid these problem areas. When I started having back problems about 4 yrs ago, I made a big effort to make my abs stronger and it has really helped. I hope to wrestle into my 40's or 50's or even 60's. Wrestling is still the world's best overall body workout. It will keep you in shape if you can avoid the injuries associated w/ it.

Anyone have any problems going up/down stairs with one bag in each hand? Or should I be searching for an elevator from now on?

-PF

I have the same injury to L5S1 did it while climbing stairs and holding a fire door open at the top while trying to get bags through. Elevator is better than stairs. Avoid awkward lifting into tight spots when you cant use the strength of your legs.
Loosing a few pounds off the front side helped me a lot, (I am not suggesting you are phat):p Stay hydrated as discs are mainly H2O and will rehydrate after injury. Light traction to alleviate compression, inversion table is great as it uses your own body weight. A good mattress is essential and try sleeping with one pillow if you are a habitual two pillower! strengthen your abs.
PM me if you have any q's

l5

did the exact same thing in a crj, pulling the case out of the front. Continued the trip, slept on the hotel room floor, slept on my basement floor, went out on a 3 day trip without going to a doc, could barely sit upright in my seat. Anyhow, I got 2 SI block injections (extremely painfull) which eventually worked, I do exercises taught to me by my pt (2months of pt!) daily, as the doc told me , your back will never be the same, went to a chiropracter, no problems since. FYI, make sure you tell your union rep what is happening! I made the mistake of using company docs, the pain was severe, and I needed something quick. Long story, I dont fly at that regional anymore.

The best thing I've found for relieving tight muscles is a little product known as a knuckle-baller. $20 gives you a massage and trigger-point therapy tool that even sore hands can operate.

Second best was a book, "Ten Steps to a Pain-Free Life". Two of the physical therapists I've dealt with taught the McKenzie Method. While the exercises could not correct a real physical problem (ligaments & tendons torn/stretched), they did prevent the company doctor treatment from becoming more serious.

In third comes three cushions, the Oregon Aero seat bottom and full back, and a McKenzie Lumbar Roll. I'm too tall for any of the seat cushions in the Cirrus, but the lumbar roll makes the cross countries survivable. The cushions are the envy of F/As that see me use them on my frequent cattle class trips. The cushions also make a nice bed when sleeping on terminal floors, rock-hard mattresses, and the front or back of many different airplanes.

In fourth, a hot tub/spa/jacuzzi. When you get off duty and the layover hotel has a hot tub that is still open, go spend an hour in there. If you get hot, take a break, but if things are still sore, get back in. Take the knuckleballer with you.

In fifth, get any allergies under control. The upper back and neck muscles are involved in breathing, and struggling to breathe through congestion or the normal course of allergies can cause those muscles to overwork. Long-term this causes lots of pain from fatigued and chronically tight muscles.

Other tips came from various PTs, MDs, and others: Posture - hunching over the computer is not considered a good thing. Avoid long periods of TV watching without moving, the trips to the fridge are actually good for the back. If you're overweight, lose ten poiunds, then lose another ten. If your bugsmasher is big enough, get up every two hours and move around. Get luggage that fits under the seat in front of you, or check it -- no reason to make the F/A get the same injury on your behalf by throwing it overhead.

Good luck with the recovery!
Jedi Nein

Skyye Candy mentioned she had big tits and this thread didn't go in the gutter at all. You are all consumate professionals.

Pat, the physical therapy will do wonders. I had the same problem and it improved with the core workouts. You just have to keep them up every week. Just lift your bags slowly and carefully. Good luck,

HNF

gkrangers said:
Skyye Candy mentioned she had big tits and this thread didn't go in the gutter at all. You are all consumate professionals.

Everyone in this thread apparently has their senses numbed by back meds. I couldn't believe it either.

gkrangers said:

someone proclaiming to be a girl and then mentioning she has big tits. Yes she must be HOT:cool:

back pain issues

PM me if you are near UNV, I know a sports doc who can help you. No meds, just muscle work, pressure point work and a little bone breaking. I felt better in days and have been pain free for months. Everyone should have a doc like this!

Latest resources

Back