Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pat Fabin

Hey guys & gals,

I'm currently recuperating from a herniated L5 disk that I got while picking up my flight kit & rollerboard at work. I know I'm not the first one to hurt my back in this occupation and I was wondering what other pilots do to lessen the chance of further injury. I fly the 737 so I am able to get my flight kit stowed from behind the seat but even that involves some stretching and extension as you navigate the circuit breaker panel. I think what I need to do is get on the 767! ;)

I'm gettting physical therapy right now and intend to get with a personal trainer to strenghten my core muscles but in addition to that I'd be interested to hear some techniques. The basic stuff we do all the time scares me now....getting on the employee bus, stowing the bags in an overhead, going up/down stairs with a bag.

I'm in my early 30s so hopefully this is something I can overcome...

Thanks in advance,
-PF

Had back surgery May 05...not for disc problem but pain/results were similar.

Rule 1--be early for everything. Why? Rushing is where you make mistakes. Don't rush/run to anything.

Rule 2--lifting Jepps bag/roller bag is a 100% concentration event. Don't sling your bag anywhere--lift it up with a straight back, then set it down in a controlled manner. Move it like you were lifting a dead lift in the gym. To put my 40# plus Jepp bag beside the seat in a 727, I first grab seat back and set it down on seat. Next with a straight back I lift bag up (using a tricep row type grasp) and set is straight down into slot on far side of seat. "Slinging" the bag in one step across seat invites twisting or hurting your back. To remove bag, I wait until captain has left his seat. I then pick bag straight up (again--tricep row movement) and set it in my lap. Then I repeat process moving bag to captain's seat. Next I get up, and when standing, with straight back, again pick up bag to carry it off plane.

All of this takes a few extra seconds...see rule # 1. If you think before you lift/sling, you'll more than likely be fine. Let other people rush you and you can get hurt (again).

PT and a good gym routine will help. So will electronic flight bags and packing light. Good luck!

AlbieF15 said:
Had back surgery May 05...not for disc problem but pain/results were similar.

Rule 1--be early for everything. Why? Rushing is where you make mistakes. Don't rush/run to anything.

Rule 2--lifting Jepps bag/roller bag is a 100% concentration event. Don't sling your bag anywhere--lift it up with a straight back, then set it down in a controlled manner. Move it like you were lifting a dead lift in the gym. To put my 40# plus Jepp bag beside the seat in a 727, I first grab seat back and set it down on seat. Next with a straight back I lift bag up (using a tricep row type grasp) and set is straight down into slot on far side of seat. "Slinging" the bag in one step across seat invites twisting or hurting your back. To remove bag, I wait until captain has left his seat. I then pick bag straight up (again--tricep row movement) and set it in my lap. Then I repeat process moving bag to captain's seat. Next I get up, and when standing, with straight back, again pick up bag to carry it off plane.

All of this takes a few extra seconds...see rule # 1. If you think before you lift/sling, you'll more than likely be fine. Let other people rush you and you can get hurt (again).

PT and a good gym routine will help. So will electronic flight bags and packing light. Good luck!

So that's it! I always thought you were doing SOMETHING:eek: else up there while the SO and I waited on the crew bus. Sorry I never shook your hand after geting off the bus Albie. Now that I know what you're really doing you can expect that handshake!:laugh:

well...that too...but only if its been a really long trip...

...I hurt a rotary cuff in my right shoulder a while back. I fly the ATR72, it's a big flight deck for a t-prop, but still snug. Like Albie said, don't rush...thats how I hurt my shoulder.

I do go to the gym and I spend one day on shoulders...for two reasons, 1- so I can lug that brain bag around 2- so that I may backhand my FO when he doesn't laugh at one of my jokes.:)

I have had similar problems and have had success with taking anti inflammatories and Chiropractic care. Not prescribed drugs but natural substances that produce the same result. The active ingredient is "Valerian Root."

PM me for more info.

Chiro. I never believed all in them until I went after 4 mos of pain and it was gone the next day after a few snaps.

Pat Fabin said:
I'm gettting physical therapy right now and intend to get with a personal trainer to strenghten my core muscles but in addition to that I'd be interested to hear some techniques.

I have had back problems, though nothing as serious as your injury. Most of mine had to do with whiplash (car accident) and muscular weakness in that area, plus I am 5'10" - not exactly short for a chick! - and rather well-endowed in the chest region. ;)

Getting a personal trainer so that you exercise using correct form and avoid further injury while getting yourself strong again is probably the best thing you can do.

Also, definitely utilize your therapist/chiropractor/trainer ~ you're paying for their services so pick their brains! They are surprisingly knowledgable and part of their job is to answer questions and help educate you, so don't be shy. Most of them are happy to share info. they have, especially if the person is actually willing to follow it through. (Many people like to go in and have the dr. or PT "fix" the problem, only to go out and repeat the same injury because they aren't willing to make lifestyle changes.)

Personally, I have seen amazing results with just living a healthy lifestyle. This includes a healthy diet, cutting back on the caffeine/sugar & drinking LOTS of water, especially at alt. (muscle dehydration can cause SERIOUS problems - like severe cramps in your back that last for days) and taking a high quality vitamin/mineral supplements. If lumbar support is an issue, you may benefit greatly from using a lumbar pillow inflight. I know the 737 seat is extremely unforgiving, so I bet that in itself would produce a great deal less stress on your mid- to lower back. Also, if you notice your muscles are tight after a long day of flying and feeling like they might cramp, try alternating hot and cold packs in 10 min. intervals.

PM me if you want further info. on any of this stuff... Hope you feel better!

Yeah, all of the above.......after awhile, and with some concientious attention paid to your PT training, you'll figure out how to move properly without risking your back. One thing to try, while sitting for long periods (flying w/ autopilot, at a desk, etc., if possible, have a small block (book, anything) to put one foot, then the other, then both, up on, to shift your hip positon a little; it doesn't have to be very big, just a few inches thick.
You might look into taking up yoga, the stretch routines help immensely, I wish I'd started it when I was 20, but better late than never.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

Its been just over 2 weeks since my injury and I'm really starting to make some gains. The stretching/strengthening excercises are really paying off...I should have been doing them before my workouts all along. I think I'll be up going back to work next month, but I'll definitely be more careful from now on.

As far as lifestyle, I had started eating better and excercising a lot more about a year go after I got on this airplane and started feeling like crap after the long legs. I'll definitely continue with the excercise, and after the therapy is over, I'm getting a trainer for a month or so.

Anyone have any problems going up/down stairs with one bag in each hand? Or should I be searching for an elevator from now on?

-PF

Latest resources

Back