• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATTENTION Furloughe ALPA Members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA SHMALPA ... ALPA is the Borg ... all will be assimilated ... resistance is futile.

I think there should be a national vote among all ALPA members to abolish ALPA. We pay them so they can collect our dues and sit on their fat posteriors while our way of life goes to hell in a hand basket.

Or..

Every Dues paying ALPA member wether it be regional, national or legacy walk off the job and say "Enough is enough." That will get someones attention.

Last edited:
The bottom line is ALPA eats it's young. It always has, and it always will. Don't you think it's funny that DW and the other ALPA bigwigs were against upping the age 60 rule until a huge ammount of senior, dues paying members were facing a retirement without a pension? Look at the senior UAL guys. Making 300+ dollars an hour a few years ago with an A and a B fund worth a hell of a lot of money. Unfortunately, now, unless they saved and planned for the worst, they are in deep trouble. I am a furloughed ALPA pilot, and I think it is total BS we can't vote, but it most certainly doesn't surprise me.

For what its worth....

I am an ALPA member, I am against age 60, I didn't like our "official" support of many candidates for office, and I also think Duane's salary is a bit offensive based on the suffering of a lot of airline guys out there right now.

So why am I wearing my pin every day?

Well...I can't fix an organization from the outside. I cannot throw rocks at others and drive them to my way of thinking. Conversely, working with others in the organization (professionally and with the spirit of mutual respect) perhaps I can make a difference. Spewing venom with an anonymous screen name certainly won't do anything.

Let's not forget some of the good work our union does do. We have a resource for safety issues, legal issues, health issues, as well as a network which allows us to examine what other carriers are doing well (and not so well) in a variety of issues. Anyway who has ever had to ask for help from an ALPA lawyer for an FAA issue or queried a medical expert while trying to regain a medical after some health issues will tell you their dues were well spent. I hope not to need those services, but I'm darn glad they are there.

Additionally, at our MEC there are several great insurance benefits that are only availalbe to members. Personally, I just consider my dues as part of the premiums. It is nice to be part of an organization, albeit imperfect, that put's the interests of pilots ahead of the interests of shareholders or the company, and it is a source of great insight and information when you find your goals and the company goals might be in conflict.

It is also nice to have a tie to the guys at Delta, Continental, and a host of other ALPA carriers. I don't begrudge the SWA, AA, or UPS guys for having their own union, nor do I think JB guys should join us--at least as long as management continues to prove the have the integrity to back up their promises. You guys all need to do what is best for your own pilot group. I don't always like our union positions on certain issues, and there are always people within an organization who might rub you the wrong way. However, I cannot imagine any of us going man v man with a company the size of Delta, American, FedEx, or whowever without some kind of organized support. We (collectively...I wasn't here then) ran ALPA off our property once, then decided that darn it...maybe we could use some help after all. So...like family, I have always recommend criticize in private and praise in public. What does that mean for me?

1. My union speaks for me.
2. One more day of retro pay.

Albie,

You forgot about the "member only" credit card offers!!!

if you didn't save for your retirement, you're an idiot!! now you want to screw over the younger guys. age 60 has been in place for a long time and now that some didn't plan properly, they want to change the rules. i'm sure you believe that your flying skills/cognitive ability haven't slowed but you're wrong.

Latest resources

Back