Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP School Program? What are regionals/ Majors looking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about flying for the military, such as the Guard or Reserves? I am not sure what the pilot recruiting age range is there days is for the military. I am almost 46 years old. I also cosidered a career change to becoming an airline pilot a few years ago. I spoke to professional pilots of various backgrounds and they told me, due to my age and late start, that airline flying wouldn't be a viable career choice. I wish you luck in your aviation career if you choose to pursue it.

How about flying for the military, such as the Guard or Reserves? I am not sure what the pilot recruiting age range is there days is for the military. I am almost 46 years old. I also cosidered a career change to becoming an airline pilot a few years ago. I spoke to professional pilots of various backgrounds and they told me, due to my age and late start, that airline flying wouldn't be a viable career choice. I wish you luck in your aviation career if you choose to pursue it.

I don't think you received very good advice if your age was the only thing they said that would hold you back. Again, I wouldn't recommend a professional pilot career to anyone. I also realize that at 46 years old, just about ANY career change can be difficult, but at your age you still have 19 years you can fly for. Granted, you might not make it to what most would consider a "good" airline, but you might be able to spend a solid 15 years or so at a second tier airline and have a good go of it. You probably wouldn't have the best quality of life or the highest pay, but you might be able to eek out a living if it's your dream. If flying is not your dream, go to nursing school :)

If I were 18 to 20 years old, I may have seriously considered becoming a airline pilot becuase I enjoy flying and its challenges. There are too many professional pilots out there who have had various experiences, some good and some bad. From my perspective, I am only a private pilot and don't have the finances to get all the certifications and ratings to become a professional airline pilot.

To the individual who began this topic. Have you ever considered becoming an airlcraft mechanic? I am just throwing that idea out there. Good luck in your carrer goals.

This is a question for those that have been through the training, why would someone choose ATP fast track program over a local flight school? And what really are regional and major carriers looking for? How do most people get their ratings for the majors (737)? And flying overseas is it a good option if you don't mind living conditions?

Thanks in advance!

dont matter where you get your training. if you will pay for your type rating and work for 12,000/yr they WILL hire you.

Actually I heard Skywest was one that was highly recommended and Mesa highly unrecommended..along with American Eagle, ExpressJet....But what do I know..i'm still earnin tickets!!!

Actually I heard Skywest was one that was highly recommended and Mesa highly unrecommended..along with American Eagle, ExpressJet....But what do I know..i'm still earnin tickets!!!

I can't speak for the other airlines, but I flew for skywest for 5 years and had a very good experience. In fact, I probably should have considered staying on because since then I have been with an airline that went bankrupt and then furloughed from another.

The pay initially is not good, just like any regional. However, as an rj captain you can make a living. I believe they are hiring again. However, as said before it is extremely competitive and until the industry shifts it will be very hard to get an interview. Just a few years ago they couldn't get people to show up for interviews! If you were looking at regional airlines to work for, I would say skywest is a good choice.

RE:SSHRAE...Sorry to hear about the furlough..That sucks. I hope the best to you most of all I hoped they have called you back by now.

With this economy it is hard to get almost any job (health care is still strong in many areas) but with so many pilots laid off or just left the industry the talent waiting for a job with 5 to 15 thousand hours is out there looking.

You can find a job if you pay for your own training, live with 20 others in a crash pad in Newark, eat what’s left on plates as you bus tables to pay rent, and wait for your ship to come in. It might or might not.

As I told a young aviation hopeful when he asked me what is the most important license to get as a pilot - a Real Estate License I said.....

RE:SSHRAE...Sorry to hear about the furlough..That sucks. I hope the best to you most of all I hoped they have called you back by now.

Thanks for the good wishes. I got very lucky a few months back and found a local job flying and managing a small citation, its not where I saw my career going when I started but I feel very fortunate to have this position when so many of my fellow pilots are jobless. It is a tough industry and you have to learn to roll with the punches and have a positive attitude. I still feel that it is a great way to make a living, but it can be a tough road. If you have any questions that I can help you with feel free to pm me.
ss

Latest resources

Back