Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mgg20...

mgg20 said:
And also, how tempting is it to just stay in and do 20 years active duty?

I entered the Air Force in 1983, which seems like last week, and now 22 years later I'm still having a blast. My time is coming, though, next year to hang it up and do something else, like Luving life! Yeah, I'm sick and tired of being deployed, but all in all, its been a grand ride.

Good luck as you embark on your own grand ride. Fly safe and keep your pitot boom out of the dirt!

TJ

MGG20, For what its worth - you may want to worry about making it through UPT before you begin planning your airline career. 350 hours with a CFI doesn't mean much when it comes to flying the way the air force wants.

Good Luck

Yeah, I know I have to learn how to fly all over again, and I'm not planning my airline career right now, just trying to gather some information. I don't think it's putting the cart before the horse because if you ask 10 Air Force pilots how they felt, 5 would say stay as long as you can, and 5 would say get out quickly. Many others hae warned me about the dangers of the "Desk Job" that go along with AD. For all of you, when it's peacetime, how often are you flying that desk? Thanks

Mgg20,

I was in your shoes just 2-3 years ago. I had 700 hrs civ flight time /CFII. I am now a winged navy pilot and about to start my first flying tour in the Navy. I too dream of an airline career someday...but as a military pilot - you are part of a select few. Only advice I can give you... stay humble in the jet and out.. You will do fine. Your prior time will help. Fly what you want... I predict that by the time we are ready to get out, the airlines will be hiring again..(knock on wood)

I am flying twin turboprops on the boat(if u know what I mean).. thats just me. I wouldn't want jets..I had the opportunity but I dont think that community fits me. Will I have fun in the Navy? You bet. And guess what.. Im only 25. Enjoy flight school even though it is a pain. You will learn alot. And good luck...

BTW, go for the C-17!!!

Skywiz- Thanks for the advise. I appreciate the people who have good things to say about going this route. Most of the people I went to school with told me that I was dumb for getting locked into a 10-year commitment. Well, so sorry but $19/hour and constant threat of furlough just doesnt leave a good taste in my mouth. Oh yeah, I have always wnated to fly the C-17, hopefully they'll let me. One more question for you priors, after you're done with UPT, and say I did the
T-1 track, when/how do they assign you to a squadron? Do you have any say in the matter? Thanks

I can only agree with Kelbill. I took my ATP in one of those crash courses in a Piper Aztec and later took the 737 Type at Higher Power. I actually thought the Type (Same profile ATP or no ATP) was easier than the ATP in the Aztec. I think I first felt really comfortable in the Aztec on the checkride itself, but when doing the 737 Type I felt I could easily have done the check after 3 sims instead of the required 5. And my background is all single seat. (I felt the CRM stuff came pretty natural to me)

What is everybodies obsession with Southwest.There not the only ones hiring but require you to buy a type.Won't flying to El Paso and Burbank get boring?

Reality check psy.. In 1999, it was all about UAL/NWA/DAL/AMR. SWA was at best an after-thought. How many times would you hear "Fly a 737 for the rest of my life, and have to get my own type rating?!?!?! No thanks!" Or... if you got called by AWA.. well... it was a stepping stone to UAL. A good friend of mine was hired by Alaska first, and then UAL. Guess where that friend went? Guess what happened to that friend? Guess where that friend would be at Alaska right now?

Or JetBlue?!?!? Who in the right mind goes to a start-up when the majors are hiring?!?!?

FDX/UPS were for those wacko vampires who enjoy the backside of the clock flying...

Fast forward to today - people now think they won the lottery if they get called by Airtran or JetBlue.

Funny how times change....

In the end, you'll never know if you made the right decision until you retire...

Freight Dog said:
Funny how times change....

In the end, you'll never know if you made the right decision until you retire...

...and then it's too late...

You are so right.There is no answer in aviation.I guess the best advice is to go where you think you will be happy.

Latest resources

Back