Atlas Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Kalitta (747s) has home basing, they're getting their first -400 in Feb, and upgrade is reportedly under a year.

Might want to check them out.

cliff
YIP

I completely agree. Check out Connie. Not the best carrier out there (no carrier is perfect), but you could see the left seat a lot faster and you might get some 400 time as well. Your current 747 experience couldn't hurt either. Check out Kalitta.

Is Atlas still hiring/interviewing? There's no link to pilot positions on their careers page. Anyone have contact info? I'm trying to jump off this sinking ship known as Comair!!

edit...
I think I found the answer over at the Polar page. The flight crew recruitment email is an atlas.com domain. Does this mean they're hiring for both companies via a pool, or do you have a choice in the matter?

Last edited:
Is Atlas still hiring/interviewing? There's no link to pilot positions on their careers page. Anyone have contact info? I'm trying to jump off this sinking ship known as Comair!!

edit...
I think I found the answer over at the Polar page. The flight crew recruitment email is an atlas.com domain. Does this mean they're hiring for both companies via a pool, or do you have a choice in the matter?

They have been interviewing this month, and it will continue after the first of the year, I hear we will hire about 100 more pilots next year. You will be placed in a hiring pool, and placed where needed.

If given a choice between Polar or Atlas, which would you take?

Atlas has the STN issue, Polar is ORD or LAX base, for the time being. Polar has better work rules, Atlas better pay. Atlas is rumored to be in growth mode. The only hiring at Polar is for attrition. They have gone thru all those furloughed and still have to hire off the street. Polar will be lucky to hang onto the -200 they are borrowing from Atlas. Its due for a very expensive heavy check early next year.

AAWH is mad at Polar, so little good will happen there unless ordered by an arbitrator or the merger happens.

Good people flying for both.

Lawyers and arbitrators can change all the above, we'll see.

Rumor has it that even a few new hires will be domestically based instead of heading directly to STN. That base award is scheduled to be out in the next couple of weeks. If you get based in STN you probably won't get reserve very often. Atlas doesn't fly out of STN and it would be a waist of money. STN is a hold over for the union busting operation (AACS now AABO). If they get rid of STN they have to get rid of those guys (about 55 now). So that is why they keep it instead of having a useful base like AMS or FRA in Europe where the flying is.

How likley are either of these senarios? I would like to be at Atlas if I didn't have to commercial from the west coast to Europe in coach everytime I start a trip.

I don't like the idea of using days off to get to work.

I'm hearing that when the new contract happens it'll be arbitrated and not negotiated - is this true? Any chance of some more days off, so not everyone owes the company 17 days?

I don't like the idea of using days off to get to work.

I'm hearing that when the new contract happens it'll be arbitrated and not negotiated - is this true? Any chance of some more days off, so not everyone owes the company 17 days?

I've pretty much always had to commute or move. I've decided to commute instead of moving every time a base got downsized or canned. I had to do that on my days off without tickets or a hotel unless I paid for it, to and from the base at every company I worked at until Atlas and only after we got gateway. At Atlas you get a hotel and airline ticket. Living at the base awarded solves that if you choose to. Patterns are built from and to bases for the total of 17 days. The question is do you want to live in the awarded base so as to not lose the day or the half day in communting depending on the circumstance?

As to the merged contract. Any one of the three parties (Atlas, Polar, Atlas Management) can vote any negotiated combined contract down. Things being what they are, I fully expect Polar or Atlas Management to vote anything down under the sun. Then we would go to arbitration for an arbiter to decide what everyone gets. No vote or strike for the Atlas crews or Polar crews. Just a contract formed by an arbiter.

I'm hoping to combine the Polar work rules with the Atlas pay scale, hopefully keeping this away from an arbiter. Arbiters tend to not make things too difficult for an employer/company. Judging from history, Polar will do everything they can to shoot everyone in the foot including themselves.

Judging from history, Polar will do everything they can to shoot everyone in the foot including themselves.
And also judging from history, certain Atlas pilots will never admit that Atlas pilots are even a small part of the "problem".

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long and in what form, ie letter or call, HR notifies you after the interview? Anyone hear that interviewed recently?

Latest resources

Back