Atlas picks up two DHL contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did she use her circa-1995 analog cell phone to lodge the complaint?:rolleyes:

Someone like that probably doesn't even know about cell phones. I'm guess she probably used the old rotary-dial phone. :laugh:

I have had conversations with people that deal with the complaints that come in from the nimbys. Funny thing about all this is that 95% of the complaints come from just a few people, calling almost every night. One lady wants us to turn off our radar so we don't give her tumors...I have also heard some other doozies.

RIV does seem like a little bit of a mistake. I think there were other options that might have been better.

One of the biggest problems there is the inability to taxi with RVR below 1200, even though we are allowed a 600 RVR takeoff, something to do with the military requirement?

You can still take off with the reduced RVR, it's getting there that is the problem. So if you taxi out and then the visibility drops, we are still good to go. It is my understanding there is no low visibility taxi operations for the airfield that is stopping the show. The military holding us back would be that they are the ones that need to get that procedure in place and published. Well, look who's base it is and you can see why it has not/will not be done any time soon.

p.s.; when you guys fly into RIV keep in mind there are two different RVR systems in place there. The RVR the tower reports is real time and what needs to be used. But if you read the published RVR, it is from the military RVR system and uses an average over the past 10 minutes. (3 or 10 minutes. I forget exactly right now but amount of time is not relevant right now) So you can be inside waiting for the weather to improve, see a METAR push across and think you are good to go only to find that the tower is reporting something completely different. The tower is frustrated with the two systems as well, but again....military base.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back