• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas interview - HELP!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been invited to interview at Atlas. I have researched and read all info in regards to Atlas/Polar on this forum, however would like to talk to someone who knows the drill. This would be a lifechanging opportunity for my family and I, and naturally I have some, ok many questions. Too many to list, so PM me if you have the time and are willing to answer some questions.
Thanks in advance.
BBC

I can't help you with any Atlas info, but I can give you some info on the lifestyle changes you are about to face should you succeed in getting a job offer there.
About 10 years ago,I was presented with the same opportunity that hopefully you will, in my case,though it was DC-8 freighters with ATI. The most shocking thing for us as a family were the scheduling issues. Up to that point, we were accostumed to the typical 4 on 3 off schedule that we had at my regional airline job,and it worked fairly well for us. But we decided to take the job offer for up to that point we thought some heavy jet experience would help move my career along.I don't think I'll ever forget my first call out while on reserve:

Skeds: "We need you up in TOL 0200 Hub time, Tuesday night"

Me: "OK ....do you know how long the trip is"

Skeds: "No"

Me: "Can I talk to someone who might know?"

Skeds: "Hold on"

Skeds: New voice comes on the line. "Yeah....Pack for 10 days!!"

An eye-opener, to be sure:eek:!! I came walking back home though my kitchen door over 16 DAYS later. Quite different than what we we're accustom
to in our previous life and not good with 2 little ones at home, although my wife
God bless her never complained and was very supportive. The kicker was that
during that 16 day stretch there we're days that we didn't fly,specifically weekends when frieght didn't move. (remember this was all domestic flying. Overseas work might be different. I don't know.) Anyway think about how long you want to be away frome home Hope this helps

PHXFLYR

PHXFLYR,

Thank you for your response. I am currently flying at a stable and established regional, fairly senior, holding 3 on 4 off. I know Atlas will be different flying to say the least. I'll most likely love the new job, and have given my wife the facts as best I know them for her to give me her opinion and hopefully approval. She's not overly thrilled, however supports me 100% in my endeavours and dreams. I sure hope once I have more details this decision will be easier to make...

Thanks PHXFLYR!

BBC

Last edited:
Most of the international freight operations (Atlas included) make an effort to fly you two weeks on, two weeks off.

I have worked for a mAAjor 121 airline (now furloughed) and have been doing the freight dog thing for almost 3 years now (not at Atlas). Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts....but I think the schedule and lifestyle is unbeatable.

I have a buddy who works for AWA. He commutes a minimum of 6 times back and forth a month, sometimes more. He actually spends more time away from home than I do, by quite a few days. If he lived in PHX it would be cake...but not everyone can live where they are based.

Most people (or their wives) are scared off by the though of being gone that long, but when you measure how much more time you spend at home...it's worth it.

CONS:

1. Gone from home for large stretch of days 15-18 usually.

PROS:

1. Commute twice a month, once to work, and once home.
2. Stay in 4-5 star hotels all over the world.
3. Fly the biggest, badest airplane on the planet.
4. When you are on days off, you can actually put your suitcase away and not even think about getting it back out for 2 weeks. Go on vacation with the family!

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't ask these questions:

"Are you committed to having an Anchorage base?"

"So, since Atlas started as an aircraft leasing company, are you committed to having pilots long-term?"

Answer: "We're absolutely committed to having pilots. When you think about it, airplanes cost the same for everybody, fuel costs the same for everybody, maintenance costs the same for everybody, but our crew costs are much lower than our competitors and that is our competitive advantage." Right then he looked at me at thought "I shouldn't have said that".

My rejection letter was signed by that guy, but don't worry, he's at JetBLue now.

True story.

BDA by Clipper said:
PHXFLYR,

Thank you for your response. I am currently flying at a stable and established regional, fairly senior, holding 3 on 4 off. I know Atlas will be different flying to say the least. I'll most likely love the new job, and have given my wife the facts as best I know them for her to give me her opinion and hopefully approval. She's not overly thrilled, however supports me 100% in my endeavours and dreams. I sure hope once I have more details this decision will be easier to make...

Thanks PHXFLYR!

You're welcome! Another question you might want to ask yourself given the tight job market for pilots is what if I am offered a position with Atlas and find I don't like it. What would your options be? In other words,who's hiring and can I get an interview there? I know I was really questioning the wisdom of my move from a purely life style perspective my first year at ATI. As a matter of fact my wife dealt with it better than I did,even with all she had going on at home watching our 4 yr old son and 1 year old daughter. And then again you have people like my sister-in-law who liked my brothers longer trips when he was a 74 Capt at Polar rather than the shorter trips and the shorter amount of time at home between trips he has now as a A320 Capt with his current company.I guess what I'm trying to say is it all comes down to lifestyle choice. Longer time at home or shorter time at home. Neither one is all good or all bad.Like anything else in life it's all what YOU make it. Good luck to you and your wife. Let us all know how you make out

PHXFLYR :cool:

Not many opportunities to fly the big boys anymore in the US. True that the schedule could be difficult, but flying the 747 is a great experience. Any idea if newhires would likely be placed in the 200 or 400? Would this be for a Stansted position?

Good luck!

Flying the 74 is great, but it turns into just another airplane after a few hundred hours and you're left trying to squeeze your entire personal life into the 8 days you have at home every month. There ARE a lot of good things about Atlas/Polar, schedule is not one of them. Make sure you can live with that before you decide to jump ship somewhere.

BDA,

All of the replies to this post are dead on, flying the 747 is a wonderful experience, and if you do decide to come to Atlas or Polar be prepared to be on the road for a minimum of 17 days a month, if employed by Atlas you will go to Stansted, Polar then JFK, regardless of equipment.

I suggest that you think it over long and hard, and discuss this with your family.

Good luck with your decision!

barbarian4 said:
Flying the 74 is great, but it turns into just another airplane after a few hundred hours and you're left trying to squeeze your entire personal life into the 8 days you have at home every month. There ARE a lot of good things about Atlas/Polar, schedule is not one of them. Make sure you can live with that before you decide to jump ship somewhere.

8 days, thats it? I thought you guys were off atleast 12-15 days a month.

Latest resources

Back