• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas going Teamsters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are right as usual, wait.. wasn't Delta IBT? No, my bad. They were alpa when they crossed Comair's line to fly all those people from Cincinnati and elsewhere. I guess neither group has the high ground in that arena. Just an observation.[/quote

Well that is certainly a new one. You may want to run that by the 7000 DAL pilots and get a second opinion on crossing a line. Also, you can call the Comair MEC and ask them if the DAL guys are scabs and if so could they send you a list. Pathetic.

I see. It is ok for alpa pilots to cross, but not Teamsters. That's what is pathetic, and it is not new. I have very good friends at Comair and they don't see it the way you do..

I see. It is ok for alpa pilots to cross, but not Teamsters. That's what is pathetic, and it is not new. I have very good friends at Comair and they don't see it the way you do..

It doesn't matter how your buds at Comair "see it". What matters is how unions work, and what is legal and what is not. It is corporations maneuvering themselves to circumvent CBA's just as is happening at ABX now. It is knowing what cards you hold before you go all in. It is struck work defined. It is the company knowing how to circumvent this definition. It is knowledge. Had the DAL pilots been able to legally support the Comair strike they would have you see. It is an ALPA pilots obligation. However, corporations have structured themselves in such a way to protect themselves from the power of organized labor. Just as ABX is doing now.

Contrast the above with IBT, where (as I understand it) the non-elected "Business Agent" makes the decision as to what is good or bad for the group.
That's how it worked when ABX was with IBT 747 many years ago. Which is one of the big reasons we went out on our own and formed IBT 1224.

IBT 1224 doesn't have a non-elected "Business Agent". We have an Executive Board, who are all pilots, and are all elected.

Cfire and all,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have to comment anyway....

It appears (from what is posted) that you think that ALPA Nat'l is dictating the direction and efforts of the Atlas MEC. I, for one, seriously doubt that is true.

Question: Have you served in an elected capacity on your MEC (either as a LEC rep or MEC Officer)?

From my experience, the old saying is true; ALPA is a "toolbox", and a very good one at that. It is up to the individual airline's elected leadership as to whether the "toolbox" is effectively used. It is a "bottom-up" organization, where the individual pilot has a say (by voting on resolutions, etc.)

Contrast the above with IBT, where (as I understand it) the non-elected "Business Agent" makes the decision as to what is good or bad for the group.

In closing, all I can say, is that if ALPA is not "working" the way that your group feels that is should, then your issue ought to be with your MEC's inability to effectively manage all of the resources that are available to them.

Fratenally,

Skipper

My personal experience with IBT is business agents are elected, or appointed by the elected officers of the local.

IBT Local 1224, representing the pilot's at ABX, does not use "business agents". The Executive Board (elected) conducts the business of the local.

That's how it worked when ABX was with IBT 747 many years ago. Which is one of the big reasons we went out on our own and formed IBT 1224.

IBT 1224 doesn't have a non-elected "Business Agent". We have an Executive Board, who are all pilots, and are all elected.

Actually, we represented a very significant portion of local 957's budget but only 10% of their membership. That made it very hard for us to get anyone elected within the local.

With a good contract to support that hourly pay scale.
ALPA has chosen a team to support and it is not ATLAS. Teamsters will better represent the wants and needs of the Atlas pilot group.
www.atlasforteamsters.com
Read the latest letter from Dave Allen, it is very enlightening to say the least.

Don't you just love a guy that has no idea wtf he is talking about. But talks and talks anyway?

Go look at the ABX pay scale JF 10 year CA $235 hr
Well, I'm definitely not an ALPA fan but let's compare apples to apples, please. You're correct that their 10 year CA pay is $235/hr however since their guarantee is only 65 hours a month, if you converted it to the more standard 75 hour monthly guarantee it comes out to $204/hr.

I think when we compare pay and benefits we should always use a similar scale, in this case monthly guarantee. Btw, I've heard ABX is a great gig and I'm not picking on them, I'm just trying to "compare apples to apples."

Latest resources

Back