Atlas Air Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain Monkey Suit

Hi guys...I understand that Polar Air Cargo is on strike; yet I was offered an interview with Atlas Air. This disturbs me as I am very supportive of union issues and don't want to step on the toes of my union brothers. Obviously...I will NOT take a job away from a fellow union brother...I will NOT fly if the union dictates the pilots not to fly...probation or not. This is a no brainer...so we can skip the scab discussion.

What would be very helpful is guidance and information from the guys that are actually on the front lines; pilots at either Polar Air Cargo or Atlas Air. What is the union saying about pilots interviewing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't worry about a thing, you are not involved in the PO fight (POwill have probably either settled or shut down before you get a class date). Go to the interview and give it your best.

Good luck!

Good luck

Atlas pilots are not on strike.

You've been invited to an Atlas interview.

I'm sure the Polar guys appreciate your concern but there's absolutely no conflict of interest here.

Two seperate certificates, two seperate training depts, two seperate seniority lists.

One common owner: Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings.

AAWWH also has interests in Atlas Air Crew Services (AACS) and Global Supply Systems (GSS). Both have seperate seniority lists.

You may want to do a little research before you interview.

Good luck.

I understand that they are picketing at the Miami interview site and Atlas is having the people come around the back...that seemed a little shady to me. That's the source of the concern...I'm not interested in steping on someone else's toes for self gain.

What kind of work schedules do you guys have? I have heard of 17 days straight. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off? How long are the layovers? Any websites, other than the contract, that give the work rules and conditions in a nutshell? The Atlas website is pretty limiting on information, crew bases, etc.

Last edited:
In a nutshell:

Work rules- they own you for 21 days a month

Bases- You'll be based in Stansted, England and commute on your own time and money

Pay- better than a lot of what's out there right now

Make sure it's what you want...Atlas is a lifestyle not a job

Last edited:
Wow...I'm getting depressed: "a lifestyle not a job". Sounds like the Navy. Do you like this job or lifestyle?

What do you mean by paying your own way home? That sucks! Why would anyone agree to this? Do you mean the FULL cost back home to the states or your base? Big difference. Any difficulties jumpseating?

Ok...we have established that there is no life...you work long periods on the road...please tell me that you at least get long layovers in the different ports.

Do people stay at this job, or lifestyle, long term? Or is this a stepping stone to something else?

Last edited:
Captain Monkey Suit said:
What do you mean by paying your own way home? That sucks! Why would anyone agree to this? Do you mean the FULL cost back home to the states or your base? Big difference. Any difficulties jumpseating?

Ok...we have established that there is no life...you work long periods on the road...please tell me that you at least get long layovers in the different ports.

Do people stay at this job, or lifestyle, long term? Or is this a stepping stone to something else?

You can jumpseat...keep in mind if you're going on an offline carrier you can only ride if there's a seat in back. Jumpseating to Europe in the summertime can be very difficult. By paying your own way...if you arrive into AMS at 2pm all the flights have left for the states so you can:

a)lounge around the terminal for 16 hours or so
b)get a hotel room for 70 euros
c)hang out in the red light district all night and then go out on medical due to a mysterious rash that your doctor can't identify

You'll have a little bit of credit from the company to work with...the amount it would cost them to position you back to STN from AMS, but it's not much.

You do get long layovers...sometime up to 5 days. Some guys like that kind of thing, personally I'd rather be home if I have that much down time.

Read the CBA carefully if you're seriously considering going there, make an informed decision, and then be sure you can live with it. There are some really good things about Atlas...schedule and QOL just don't happen to be some of them. If you can live with it long enough to be based in the US and get Gateway...things do get better.

Interesting...so when you finish your tour of duty...say you finish in NYC...the company will fly you back to Stanstead if that is where you are based...correct? They don't just abandon you in some strange city and you have to get back to your pilot base on your own dime. Right? You were referring I think to going back to the states to visit or commuting from the US to your pilot base in England?

Do you have to stay in England for a solid 2 years, or does the company allow you to bid back to the states as soon as your seniority can hold it? How does the situation improve at this point? They will still pay for your trip back to your pilot base, correct?

Do most of the guys go somewhere else (just another stepping stone)? Or is this a career?

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate knowing what I am getting myself into before I interview.

How is QOL for someone who lives near Stansted? I know the commute is tough, but I'm from England and have access to a place to live. The wife and family would actually like an opportunity to live over there for a few years. Also, I read once that the company would pay a relocation allowance for crewmembers who did relocate to the UK. Is this true?

Thanks

Latest resources

Back