Atlas Air Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flywrite said:
How is QOL for someone who lives near Stansted? I know the commute is tough, but I'm from England and have access to a place to live. The wife and family would actually like an opportunity to live over there for a few years. Also, I read once that the company would pay a relocation allowance for crewmembers who did relocate to the UK. Is this true?

Thanks

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. If I got on with Atlas I would be all over living in England for two or three years. I really don't care how poor I would be...just something I would love to do:)

Is that a positive point when the company is looking at new hires?

Wankel7,

Well sure it would be a positive note if you were interested in doing what is a company requirement. HR's first question after some resume Q's was how do you feel about the move to England. My take on this issue is that if you have a lot of obligations here in the states...like wife, kids, mortgage, or jail time...well then the move would be rather difficult to make (partially kidding, and partially serious). I'd hold back on telling them that you don't mind living in poverty...plenty of us pilots are already living in this situation, and if we are not, then they would love to pay us less. In Alaska I used to live under the kitchen table for the first month I was there in the crash pad. After a month I graduated to getting the couch next to a dude that farted all night...and that was a step up in poverty. So I wouldn't tell any employer that you'd do it for cheap, or live in poverty...that's part of the problem with our career. Hehehe.

Ahhh...here's a good tip...HR said they look for someone that has at least two type ratings and/or a minimum of 2000 hours of jet time in either seat. I didn't know this...so I thought it might help you...good luck.

Last edited:
I've been here 5 months or so flying the line for 3. Here are my observations:

Overall it’s a pretty good job if this is what you want to do. If you want to fly a very well maintained modern machine, travel the world (and actually get time on the ground to see it), stay in nice hotels, and make a good sum of money this might be the place for you. If you expect to be home every night or fly 3 day trips and 4 or five days off, this isn't the place for you. Try SWA, JB, or Airtran or better you consider the banking profession.

I haven't seen STN since I've been here and with any luck I won't. Generally people (even the AACS guys) don't live in the UK it's expensive and the quality of life isn't as good as it is other places in Europe. When you are STN based the company will buy you a ticket from anywhere on the continent (within reason). The tix they buy contractually have to be biz class (if avail) so that gives you a decent sum of $ to play with. Sometimes you can even get them to buy you tickets from the states of equal or lesser value (I've done it a couple of times they are quite reasonable about this if you ask). If you live in central EU the train is a great alternate means.

The schedules are very shall we say fluid. It’s been said, "You’re not home until you're home!" There is some truth to that. Contractually you owe the company 17 days the others are off days. They can (and do so I hear) take up to four of your off days from you involuntarily, but the must compensate you at a graduated additional rate. It can be quite lucrative if you can stand it.

On that note. Regardless of what you might think or what people say you can make a serious amount of money here if you are willing to work. Mind you this ain't fedex/ups. You ain't gonna make 10gs sitting at home or flying guarantee. This is a place where you sell your time for money. There are guys here and polar who make well in excess of 200k (they are the extremes of course, but it is possible). Like any airline job you work the system and you can get what you want/need!

Regardless of what others say I enjoy it here. The flying is challenging and its own reward. The crews are generally a fun lot. It’s a very laid back kind of gig. Go, fly, earn, and come home. I came into this with my eyes open. It is not without its shortcomings, but overall I am satisfied with my choice. The CBA is the CBA, but it was their first one. If you got everything you wanted on the first try would you even need a union anymore, this area will improve over time.

You may hear from a lot of guys who are burnt out or don't like this or that, but you know what I say to that "Vote with your feet"! If it ever gets to that point for me I may have to make that decision and will do so. No job is ever worth more discomfort than you can bear.

Hope that helps

Bman,

Thanks for that reply...it was very helpful. Noticed that you used to fly an Excel...me too.

Where are you based then? I thought it was a requirement to go to England initially...so there is hope to dodge that duty.

Captain Monkey Suit said:
Wankel7,

Well sure it would be a positive note if you were interested in doing what is a company requirement. HR's first question after some resume Q's was how do you feel about the move to England. My take on this issue is that if you have a lot of obligations here in the states...like wife, kids, mortgage, or jail time...well then the move would be rather difficult to make (partially kidding, and partially serious). I'd hold back on telling them that you don't mind living in poverty...plenty of us pilots are already living in this situation, and if we are not, then they would love to pay us less. In Alaska I used to live under the kitchen table for the first month I was there in the crash pad. After a month I graduated to getting the couch next to a dude that farted all night...and that was a step up in poverty. So I wouldn't tell any employer that you'd do it for cheap, or live in poverty...that's part of the problem with our career. Hehehe.

Ahhh...here's a good tip...HR said they look for someone that has at least two type ratings and/or a minimum of 2000 hours of jet time in either seat. I didn't know this...so I thought it might help you...good luck.

Thanks for the run down! Good point on what you said. I have the two types I just need more jet time. Thanks again!

Wankel

jet time, schmet time. just find out when denise is going to be in mia doing interviews and be there at the time they start. you'll know who she is and just walk up to her and give her your resume and ask if anyone hasn't shown up that day.

smile nice and she will either A: take your stuff and tell you thanks but she will have to look it over

B: someone will have not shown up and she may let you in for the day.

obviously no promises, but worth a try.

getting back to the states is like anywhere else with a base bid, seniority, seniority, seniority, but with an estimated 250+ retirement in the next five years you can imagine that movement will be rapid at the FO level. I have been here about the same time as b-man but i fly the workin mans airplane, while he just jets around to all the shoeshine spots in the world (just kidding)
if you come here with a laid back attitude and can get along with people, you will do fine, but those who get all riled up easy, you might as well stop now.

Latest resources

Back