Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
furloughfodder said:
http://boeingmedia.com/imageView.cfm?id=14592&ResID=5

Looks nice. Fist plane comes on board in four years. They will probably retire the majority of the classics by then (resulting in quite a few furloughs), so I would say the hiring outlook is grim. At least until 2010.

just curious why would the new airplane create furloughs? the engineers? pilots? both?

landlover said:
just curious why would the new airplane create furloughs? the engineers? pilots? both?

The new airplanes will create jobs, and a lot of them. The problem is, they are over four years away. In the meantime, our management is going to shrink the airline, while they park the 747-200's that are in the fleet. They want to have a 747-400/800 fleet, with no classics.

They have already started the process, and parked all the classics on the Polar side, and furloughed over 100 people in the last 6 months.

I'm sure there are more furloughs to come after they park the classics on the Atlas side followed by even more furloughs after they merge the Atlas/Polar seniority lists. So expect the company to get real small over the next 4 years before any sign of expanding.

2 Certificates flown by 1 merged Atlas/Polar seniority list.:laugh:

ATRCA said:
Hey folks, just a quick question. I spoke with a former Atlas guy who left not long ago. He said that Atlas keeps guys on the road until they reach 100 hrs and then send guys home. That sounded a bit off to me and an awfull lot of time away. True or not?

Yeah...that's ridiculous. You can plan on being out 42 days and not making guarantee.

Classicdriver said:
That's the current plan. My bet is one certificate will be gone before the crew merger is complete.

If you're right.....Its my bet that it won't be the certificate thats holds a route authority system that the other freight haulers are drooling over. ;)

Whale Rider said:
If you're right.....Its my bet that it won't be the certificate thats holds a route authority system that the other freight haulers are drooling over. ;)

Sorry, you miss the point. The Atlas Certificate, on its own has no value, unless sold with planes and contracts. Why sell it? Its making money. The Polar cert, on its own, has value, even if it's never made money. But, the rights are only worth what you make of them and 63% load factors don't hack it. Market leader??...gag.

Just because it hasn't been sold, doesn't mean it's not for sale. Dolan, over at United, said he had to delay a "cargo only" operation due to cash flow and would look at it again in early '07.

The word in Herdon is that DHL is still looking hard. I'm told DHL is the current leader, because it would include a long term ACMI deal to continue to operate it for them. Kinda interesting outcome on that one. Cert would leave, AAWW would pocket some profit on the sale (they have to be selling it for more than the purchase price of $39 Mil), planes and crews remain at the combined Atlas. The merger would continue. Very interesting.

Imagine this. The Polar cert is sold to DHL. They sign an ACMI deal for Atlas to fly it. As the merger of the contracts goes along, Cato lets it be known that if he doesn't like the deal, the merger will be called off, the Polaroids will be let go. Can you imagine the ruckus that would cause? That would be the "Perfect Storm". ALPA National would have to step into the middle of that one. Could that be why "Bobb" is in such a hurry?

Classicdriver said:
Sorry, you miss the point. The Atlas Certificate, on its own has no value, unless sold with planes and contracts. Why sell it? Its making money. The Polar cert, on its own, has value, even if it's never made money. But, the rights are only worth what you make of them and 63% load factors don't hack it. Market leader??...gag.

Just because it hasn't been sold, doesn't mean it's not for sale. Dolan, over at United, said he had to delay a "cargo only" operation due to cash flow and would look at it again in early '07.

The word in Herdon is that DHL is still looking hard. I'm told DHL is the current leader, because it would include a long term ACMI deal to continue to operate it for them. Kinda interesting outcome on that one. Cert would leave, AAWW would pocket some profit on the sale (they have to be selling it for more than the purchase price of $39 Mil), planes and crews remain at the combined Atlas. The merger would continue. Very interesting.

Imagine this. The Polar cert is sold to DHL. They sign an ACMI deal for Atlas to fly it. As the merger of the contracts goes along, Cato lets it be known that if he doesn't like the deal, the merger will be called off, the Polaroids will be let go. Can you imagine the ruckus that would cause? That would be the "Perfect Storm". ALPA National would have to step into the middle of that one. Could that be why "Bobb" is in such a hurry?

I didn't miss your point. My point is, if they get rid of the Polar certificate they cut their own thoats.

Latest resources

Back