• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atkin's Diet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't puke but sure did get reaaaaaallly bad gas. And I felt like $hit. Made a lot too. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine got really sick, something like an imbalance of uric acid in his system, due to the diet.

My ex-boss who was a devotee (and alcoholic) to atkins had a terrible breath. We called it the "kiss of death". :D

flx757,

Nothing personal but taking healthy eating advice from someone that just had bypass surgery is like asking Bill Clinton for ethical guidance. I'm glad you are back on your way to good health though.

Dr Atkins has been lambasted and condemned for going on 30 years until recently. Anytime anybody directly challenges conventional wisdom they take a lot of heat. So far, it looks like he was right.

I did the high carb, low fat bit for 25 years. I also busted my a$$ exercising at an extremely high level (oooh rah!). My weight and fitness level stayed fairly flat during all that time. When I tried the Atkins plan I IMMEDIATELY lost weight, my energy level improved and my exercise performance increased to where it was 15 years ago. I sleep better, look better and my doctor says that ALL of my lab results are outstanding.

The old paradigm of 60/30/10 (carbs/protein/fat) didn't work for me. The low carb, moderate fat, moderate protein diet is working in spades.

Good health to you.

Caveman,

Nothing personal, but it was the UNHEALTHY eating (as any fad diet advocates) that got me into my past state.

Since then, registered dieticians and nutritionists have given me the advice that I pass on. I wouldn't think it would take a rocket scientist to figure out the difference, but evidently I give some people WAY too much credit.

Whatever works for ya....
:rolleyes:

BTW, my diet is NOT the 60/30/10 that you cite.

Last edited:
The only reason that Atkins SEEMS unhealthy is that it bucks all the conventional wisdom. Nothing personal, but YOUR unhealthy eating habits had nothing to do with what the Atkins Diet advocates. Even if you HAD been following the Atkins program and STILL ended up with heart problems, well, that wouldn't make it Atkins' fault, either.

The problem with your viewpoint, and that of everyone else who declares with "authority" that the Atkins Diet doesn't work/is unhealty/is foolish/is a fad diet/is dangerous.... Is that you are just plain wrong. More and more research, and recent research at that, shows that it works and it works as advertised, for that matter.

Again, all of us have been taught "the truth" about how to eat properly, and basically you just have to read the research, which shows that the Atkins Diet won't kill you. With all due respect, you and your registered dietician have deciding that anyone trying out the Atkins routine is "fooling themselves" doesn't make it true.

You're missing the point. Which is not surprising. I'm out. I have MUCH better things to do than argue here. Thankfully, I have been given a second chance at LIFE. I don't intend to waste it debating this issue.

Good luck to you all.

P.S. I don't recall hearing anyone who eats healthy, well balanced meals ever complain that it makes them "really sick".

Last edited:
That's the reason I tried it in the first place, quite a few people I know had done it and gotten very good results. In my case it made me sick as hell..

Last edited:
Actually, I got the point EXACTLY, flx.

I'm glad you're okay, I'm glad you got your second chance, but being condescending towards those who have tried the diet and had good results... Telling them they are "fooling themselves" and using "rolling my eyes" emoticons, shows that you clearly DON'T have better things to do than argue the point. You're the one who started in on this, so don't try to make me the bad guy here.

Good luck to you and I hope you continue on the road to recovery.

FSIgrad... You do illustrate the downside to the Atkins lifestyle, which is that in some cases people don't respond well to it. Luckily, most who are willing to give it a go and stick to it do have good results... And bad breath, too. :)

For the record, I am not trying to be a cheerleader for the Atkins Diet. I tried it once, lost some weight, but couldn't get over the fantasizing about Twix Bars. I did a LOT of research on the topic before I tried it out, just to be sure I wasn't going to end up hurting myself, and I am ultimately convinced of one thing... For those that have the fortitude to stick with it, it's a good, fast, and ultimately healthy lifestyle and way to lose weight.

I have found that controlling carb AND fat intake works pretty well for me. i reached a point where i stopped losing weight, so i started eating leaner meats.... mainly chicken and fish and my weight loss continued.

BTW, for all you Gold Card members at GNC. if you are a flight crew member (pilot or FA) you can get your 20% discount all month long if you show your company ID with your Gold Card. They understand that we're not always in town to take advantage of the 1st week of the month deal, so they honor it all month for us.

I didn't know that! Great info. Thanks.

Carb control for me has been the key, not a true Adkins diet but a huge reduction in the carb intake.

I have found that Nitro-Tech low carb bars, 3-6 grams of impact carbs per bar, helps with eating within the diet while you are on the road. At any GNC.

25+ pounds lost in about six months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back