Atkin's Diet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fly26

Any other pilots out there had luck with the Atkin's Diet. For me, it's going well, but can be a struggle on the road sometimes. Get tired of hotel "continental" breakfasts too! Where's the eggs?!

Looking for any new ideas on acceptable Atkin's types of foods too.

Thanks.

Don't know how many crew breakfasts I've left at the hotel counter!! The low carb bars can help in between meals. I commute so it's hard to pack chicken breasts etc. I will go to BK and get the charbroiled chicken and remove the bun. Also, load up on the salad bar but keep veges to the "green" color if possible- no carrots, too high in carbs. I used to get the low suger shakes in the late afternoon and would have to get a coke or orange juice to feel better. Ever since getting off suger and eating low carb I have never felt better!! A little more expensive but during recurrent ground It was funny to watch everybody nodding off in the afternoon (after the typical American carb loaded lunch) and I was wide awake!! All the best, eat and fly safe!! Wil

PS- 6 months and back in my 34 uniform pants!!
also, if you overnight near a Walmart they now have low carb tv dinners. I forget the name but in the diet frozen section and the carbs are labeled on the front average is 10 carbs per dinner!

I did an Atkins-like regimin:

Heavy on the protien, low on the carbs BUT I also ate veggies & fruits. Drank lots of water. I also limited the fat! At 9 calories per gram, you can put a dent in that scale much quicker by limiting the fat. I gained 20 pounds and went from a size 4 to a 10 during the six months I was sedentary and at the AE academy (great cafeteria!) Oink!

After I simply started eating sensibly and did a 30 minute jog/walk 3-4 times a week I lost all 20 in about 12 weeks! Getting off your duff is the key. :D Back to my old size 4 and have some new healthier eating habits.

Basically, even if you don't follow it exactly, you can still lose weight. WATCH THOSE CALORIES and you WILL loose it faster. Figure 13 times your idea body weight if you are moderately active to get your daily calorie allotment.

"The low carb bars can help in between meals"
!Learn to be a label reader! Many of those so-called 'low carb' bars are far from it. Some don't include glyceryn in their calorie count. Total hidden carbs. Go to a health food store and get some of the better quality protien and honest carb counts. A good bar will cost $2-3. Another good snack are those mini pull top Starkist tuna packs. Travels great!

Good luck (and refined carbs are the enemy)!

Last edited:
The Atkins diet is absolutely amazing. If you would have told me I could drop my jeans from a 36 to a 33 in 3 months by eating bacon, cheeseburgers and peanut butter, I would have gotten you a straightjacket and a rubber room. The chicken caesar salad at BK is pretty good, also eat lots of peanut butter and some of the high protein/low carb powder shakes from Gold's gym (probably can get it at GNC). Pretty easy to stay on it but I do misssssss my Krispy Kremes.....

It worked for me. I lost 28 pounds from 15 Jan to 15 Mar. Went from a 36+ to a 33 inch waist. It's been almost 4 months and I'm holding steady at 182 lbs. I take a bunch of the Atkins brand low carb bars with me. They work well as a snack when I can't get something healthy to eat and they also kill the sugar cravings.(Hmmmmm.....donuts). They are a bit pricey though. $2.50 each unless you get them on sale. GNC will sell them to you for $1.99 the first week of every month if you are a member. Still, compared to anything bought at the airport they are a bargain.

I was a little concerned about what effect the Atkins plan would have on cholesterol, blood sugar, etc so I had a bunch of lab work done at the end of 6 months. All the numbers were perfectly normal.

Good luck.

I lost 26 lbs in 2 months. I feel great and always have energy. I carry beef jerky with me on the road. I also have a low carb Myo-flex drink in the morning. It only has 2 carbs and it tastes pretty good. I like the strawberry cream flavor the best. The only thing I am having trouble is I have been at 170 now for 3 weeks, I've plateaued. Anybody have any ideas on how I can lose my last 10 lbs. I'm still doing the < 20 carbs a day but I'm stuck. I guess I'll just have to run the rest off.

Wow, never thought we would have so many positive responses. Well, i'll have to put a damper here.

I tried the atkins for 2 weeks.
I took this to the extreme...no carbs at all.

2-egg omellete in the mornin, then a salad or steak in the afternoon. Very long periods between meals.
After a couple days, the lack of variety got me veeeeeeeery fidgety!

Also, my digestive system was not taking well to this overload of eggs, meats, cheeses, and i was feelin like cr@p day by day.
Eventually, i blew the diet away with a full plate of chicken nachos...yummm!!!

Did i lose weight? A little, but it didn't show. Wasn't exercising either. I guess the only good thing was going to a brazilian BBQ, stuffin myself with meat and veggies, and feelin OK afterwards while all my buddies would doze off.

My secret? Eat every 2.5 hours, small portions, excersize, and don't eat too many carbs (but don't cut ALL carbs).
I lost 35lbs this way, in about 8 months.

My wife had the same thing - got on atkins, followed it religiously for 2 weeks (the first 2 hell weeks).

She lost 15 lbs I think.

She continued on it religiously, and didnt lose anymore, not a pound. Keep in mind that being active for her is difficult in that she has polio in her left knee (got it from the vaccine when she was a little girl), so exercise like you and I might do are a no-go item for her.

It's tough to give up beer!

I drink the Mich Ultra, now. I lose a little and fall off the wagon but I feel great.

I agree with 46--I miss the Krispy Kremes!TC

First, it takes about two weeks in order to convince your body that there are no more carbs available, and it had better start buring FAT. This is what they call the "induction" phase.

I lost 27 pounds so far. I started right before we went into Iraq.

My weight loss has slowed, and I am ramping up my exercise to stimulate more fat burning. Everyone keeps telling me how much better I look. This morning I was 198, which pushes my loss to 29 pounds.

I buy the Atkins Advantage bars at General Nutrition Center, and buy a bunch more when they are on sale on top of the gold card discount.

Latest resources

Back