• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atkin's Diet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recently returned home following coronary artery bypass surgery. Feeling great and healthier than ever. From my perspective, there is only ONE way to eat. Several well-balanced (to include carbs), fat and sodium controlled, low cholesterol meals a day, at regular intervals; combined with regular exercise, will make and KEEP you healthy.

Any other way, and you are only fooling yourself. If anyone doesn't believe, I will be happy to share my angiogram results (and let you see my scars). :)

FLX757:

Welcome back! Glad to see you made it home. If you or your family need anything, or if you need me to pick up any of your stuff in ATL, don't hesitate to call me.

BTW - What was your diet like before the big "H"? What does the doctors have to say about your diet now?

FL717,

Thanks buddy!! Got home last night and am feeling GREAT. I'll probably make it into the crew room/office in a few weeks.

To answer your questions, my diet before consisted of (obviously) too much high fat/high cholesterol foods...burgers, bacon, sausage, cheese...LOTS of cheese; and now, having consulted a registered nutritionist/dietician, I eat well-balanced meals, that limit (but not eliminate) fats and dholesterol, watch the soduim, and eat many fruits and veggies. Basically just eating a well-balanced, healthy diet; and eating several meals at regular intervals.

Thanks again for everything, my friend; and I'll be back in no time!!

My doctor has a sign in his office that reads "it is my opinion that the Atkins diet is very dangerous to your health"

If you'd like to loose weight my un-medical opinion is quit eating sugar and crap food. Look at labels and see how much sugar is in everything. Even white bread.

Now for the really crazy idea; exercise for an hour every day. Being fit is not one decision. It is the sum of decisions you make every day. If I exercised 5 days this week and ate fast food French fries on one day then the sum of my decisions is a healthy one. If I exercise twice this week, eat 10 candy bars, drink sodas and have a hamburger every night then the sum of my decisions was an unhealthy one.

Sometimes I think this whole country is made up of over medicated whiny "give me a pill for my lazy fat a$$ and one for my ADD" losers.

And my wife says I'm insensitive!

lost 15 lbs on an atkins-like program in the last 2 &1/2 weeks and still going.

Atkins

Surprised how many of us are on this diet!

Started a month ago, and down 16lbs already. The diet is EASY to stick with (I stay far from the Krispy Kreme store); never thought I would lose weight eating sausage and eggs for breakfast every day!

Reading the books makes a big difference; a lot of the things he says are not so revolutional; staying away from sugar, processed foods, and white flour. I thought there was no way it would work, but after a week, I was another fanatic.

Phase II is much easier to stay on, as the variety in fruits and vegetables is much better, though I go back to the induction diet every couple days when I do not seem to be losing anything.

Having tried NUMEROUS "low fat" diets over the past 10-15 years, losing nary a pound, I believe in this one. Excercised at a heath club for an hour every day for 4 months and didn't lose an ounce. Since a month before starting Atkins, I have walked/run 2-3 miles per day.

Last edited:
I've been on Atkins for 2 months and have lost 15 lbs. All the weight was lost in the first month. Once a month I treat myself
to my favorite pizza. I'd like to hear how others have got past the plateau. I take the Atkin's bars to work with me, decreases the urge to cheat. I know almost 10 others on the diet, all have lost a min. of 15 lbs. Good luck!

Hello
Lost about 17 and hopefully still losing some:
the Le Carb ice cream is **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good
Nuts are good
Pickles are good
A nice Caser Salad with bacon is good
string cheese
cottage cheese
hard boiled eggs
canned meats like tuna and chicken are good

Getting over the plateau, I have no idea try working out hard core for a week and see what happens like from 3-4 times a week t0 5-6
Also try weight training that will move some of the flab to muscle and you will notice the tone better
D

yes, i second the atkins ice cream....just as good as b&j!!! and better for ya!?

I dropped 10 in four weeks only due Atkins M-Th. I put it all back on in the next few months, but I really worked at that by eating like garbage, having a couple of beers and chips before bed. Time to try again.

Walmart has the best prices on the Atkins bars, about 1.70.

The pharmacy also has Ketostrips to tell whether you are in ketosis. You need to pee on them.

The downside to Atkins.

1) It totally saps your energy initially with no/low carbs.
2) I got sick of preparing food and bored with my options.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back